Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

My latest project

Back in February I decided to build a Windows Home Server using a spare PC I had sitting around (I wound up rebuilding it with higher end parts a month later). I put a 1 Terabyte and a 1.5 Terabyte hard drive into it, hooked it up to my home network and began loading all of my Star Trek onto it.

Eventually I started loading a whole bunch of other stuff on it too but it's great to be able to access the server on my TV (through my PS3) and have any episode playing with the push of a button and not have to worry about switching Discs.

Of course after building the home server and transferring things to it from one end of the house to the other I discovered that my home network was in serious need of an upgrade. Everything was 10/100 as far as the modem, router and switches goes but all of my NIC's were Gigabit.

One thing that will make me remember exactly what I was doing when I ordered all of the hardware to upgrade the network is the Tsunami. It was hitting Japan at the same time that I was ordering everything.

Anyway, if anyone else has a home network I'd recommend thinking about a Home Server. I love it, and with the newest version of Home Server that's due out soon you can stream any of your videos over the internet. With the current version you can only download them.

So if I'm away from home I can log into my home server and watch any of the shows or movies that I have on there. It's really cool. Sort of like having your own Netflix.