Sign in to follow this  
Big_Steve

TOS References In ENT?

First, I'm new to ENT, can I find a pre-requesite for this star trek entry? I've been to startrek.com and have had no luck. I know this series apparently attemps to show the beginnings of the UFP and takes place before TOS ... sounds cool, but I really need to know what's happening with this series.

If this series is a prequel to TOS, are there many references to things that are established in TOS? Some examples:

In TOS:

The SS Valiant was sent to the edge of the galaxy with disastorus results. (ref. Where No Man Has Gone Before)

The society on Sigma Iotia II was contaminated by the U.S.S. Horizon ... a hundred years before TOS, putting it right in the time frame of ENT. (ref. A Piece Of The Action)

There are many other things dating back to ENT's time, including the great Romulan War (ref. Balance Of Terror) The Romulan War would make a great motion picture by the way :klingon:

In Ent we have the Xindi, who the heck are they? they seem to be such a pain in the butt in ENT to never have been mentioned in TOS. What gives with that?

Tptb have with ENT, created the Ultimate prequel/squeal story!

It's a prequel in the sense it happens before TOS but it is a sequel in the sense that faction(s) from the future (after VOY) are trying to gain power in their time by using their ability to communicate back in time to the era of ENT.

Why would they do that?

I believe they are attempting to manipulate known history thereby causing changes to the timeline so they, (factions of the future) will be victorious over other factions of that time. The name for this attempted manipulation of the past is the Temporal Cold War or TCW.

Keeping the timeline, as we know it to have happened is the goal we are fighting the TCW for.

If Archer wins, all History as we know it, will occur as it did before and all is well BUT! If the faction in the Future wins and the timeline as we knew it is erased, there is gonna be some ticked off fans! :klingon: (Not me though, I would not be ticked at all. If changing the time line is a realistic consequence of losing the TCW then it is only logical to accept the change and move on but I think we will win the war ;-)

Check out this thread for more ideas and opinions about the TCW.

ENT has had plenty of links with TOS, along with a few to the later shows.

ENT started in 2151 and is currently set in 2153, 8 years before the founding of the United Federation of Planets in 2161.

The SS Valiant was sent to the edge of the galaxy with disastorus results. (ref. Where No Man Has Gone Before)

The S.S. Valiant mission was long, long before the NX-01 mission, so why would they bring it up?

The society on Sigma Iotia II was contaminated by the U.S.S. Horizon ... a hundred years before TOS, putting it right in the time frame of ENT. (ref. A Piece Of The Action)

The U.S.S. Horizon is a Daedalus-class ship, one of the first ships of the UFP. Since the UFP and Daedalus-class don't exist yet, no problem there.

There are many other things dating back to ENT's time, including the great Romulan War (ref. Balance Of Terror) The Romulan War would make a great motion picture by the way

ENT is currently set in 2153, the Romulan War spans 2156-60, lasing 5 years. While these dates are not given on screen, they are in the ST:ENCYC, so if the Producers decide to use this info, then the Romulan War should begin in the 5th season.

In Ent we have the Xindi, who the heck are they? they seem to be such a pain in the butt in ENT to never have been mentioned in TOS. What gives with that?

Ya got me there. I don't have a problem with them using races like the Sulliban, but where the heck did the Xindi go in the time of TOS & TNG? :klingon:

I think that,perhaps,the Xindi are going to accidentally destroy themselves with whatever super weapon it is they are creating to destroy Earth with.So,they may not still be around in Kirk's time.

Where did the Xindi go. Maybe nowhere. They are currently in a remote expanse of which people do not like to venture into. Besides, since ships cannot leave the expanse due to it's barrier, how would any body ever hear of the Xindi? How Enterprise will get out in anybodies guess. Furhtermore, the Andorian's are a founding species of the Federation itself and we barely hear of them in the other Star Trek's beyond the Original Series. If an important species like that can go unmentioned, the Xindi could go unmentioned to a greater degree. Also, we cannot say what will happen to the Xindi before Enterprise is done. They could end up wiped from history by a different faction in the cold war. They could die from their own weapon, or Archer could use the mutagenic virus against them, though I doubt he would do such a horrible thing. My point is, we don't know.

Well there has been a referance to this if u watch the eppisode of Enterprise from season 2 Called horizon u will see the book titled Chicago Gangs it is in Travis's quarters it is the big grey silver book u see it when he is talking to his old friend cant remeber her name but is is there. Now remeber it is not a Fed. ship yet but it only will be * years till it does so mostlikely they will get the Title U.S.S some place and we have a Feeration ship now i know it is not the same class but who cares maby it was recorded wrong when it was get put into the newly formed Federation Data base they did have a alot of Earth ship.

Edited by Korthedaharmaster

Tptb have with ENT, created the Ultimate prequel/squeal story! 

It's a prequel in the sense it happens before TOS but it is a sequel in the sense that faction(s) from the future (after VOY) are trying to gain power in their time by using their ability to communicate back in time to the era of ENT.

Why would they do that?

I believe they are attempting to manipulate known history thereby causing changes to the timeline so they, (factions of the future) will be victorious over other factions of that time. The name for this attempted manipulation of the past is the Temporal Cold War or TCW.

Keeping the timeline, as we know it to have happened is the goal we are fighting the TCW for.

If Archer wins, all History as we know it, will occur as it did before and all is well BUT! If the faction in the Future wins and the timeline as we knew it is erased, there is gonna be some ticked off fans!  :klingon:  (Not me though, I would not be ticked at all. If changing the time line is a realistic consequence of losing the TCW then it is only logical to accept the change and move on but I think we will win the war ;-)

Check out this thread for more ideas and opinions about the TCW.

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't care for the TCW time line manipulation idea. I know there is nothing I can do about it, it's just personal preference ... I don't care for it. I agree with commander bolivar in that it makes for great stand alone episodes but not overkill.

I know the NBC brass was ridiculous in claiming that "The Cage" was too cerebral, but we can almost make a case for it with ENT and TCW. I'm not unintelligent, but when I watch a television show I want to be entertained, not given a headache trying to figure it all out ... just my opinion.

IMHO, Enterprise should have began with the romulan war and proceeded from there, or at a time immediately before captain kirk and TOS, making a nice "bridge" to TOS.

We will probably see the beginnings of the Romulin war, its only a couple of years away. And Archer has already had a run in with the Romulins already in "Minefield".