Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Huge sunspot

Spaceweather.com

A huge sunspot has developed on the sun and another one is forming. So that means aurora alerts for people living in the high latitudes of the northern and Southern hemisphere. May extend to middle latitudes if we are lucky.

Follow the above link to see photos of sunspots, updated daily, from the orbiting observatory SOHO. Site also shows areas of the Earth which may see aurora. A service it provides is space weather phone where for a fee you can receive a phone call to alert you to aurora which may occur in the following few days.

Edited by starsinmyeyes

Update ...28/10/03

Many large sunspots on the sun and high activity with solar flares and geomagnetic storms. Would be interested in hearing if anyone on the board has seen auroras this week or month.

Have been showing my class the sun through my telescope with solar filter of course. The children have been extremely excited. I've posted an updated picture for Wednesday 28 Oct taken from SOHO since I can't post the pictures we took today with the digital camera at the telescope's eyepiece.

Enjoy. :lol:

Sun for 28/10

Click for Spoiler:

midi512_blank.gif Edited by starsinmyeyes

I've been meaning to post about this.

For the last few days during the firestorms, the smoke has caused the brightness of the sun to be diminished to the point you can see the sunspot causing these flares with the naked eye.