Sign in to follow this  
Big_Steve

Casting The Captian Of Enterprise

My cable company just recently started carrying the UPN network and I got to see Enterprise for the first time tonight.

I really don't care much for Scott Bakula as captain. I just can't get "Quantum Leap" out of my head, but mostly, for some reason, I don't percieve him as intellegent enough to command a starship.

I think Stephen Collins (as captain Will Decker) would have made a better choice for captain of the enterprise. I know he "merged" with Ilia in Star Trek The Motion Picture but through the magic of television he could have been brought back as captain here. But I also realize that Collins probably has obligations to the WB network and 7th Heaven and couldn't be captain ... I just think he'd have made a better captain.

OK, I see I may be in a time warp here and need to check the chronological order of things. ENT takes place _before_ TOS, geez I feel dumb now. So my question is why would they want to do that? There is no way they can make this series "look" more primative than TOS.

I want to see a series that picks up where Voyager left off and continue to explore the unknowns of space as in Gene's original "wagon train in space" concept.

I would expect in time you are going to find Scott Bakula is a great actor and you will soon forget about Quantum Leap while your watching ENT. I think he's a great captain! :blink:

I agree with Archerfan (although I think his or her opinion may be biased towards Archer due to the name...archerfan...lol) Quantum Leap is my favorite non Star Trek show, and at first I thought I'd be thinking of Archer as Sam on Enterprise, but now after 2 seasons Sam never comes to mind when I watch Enterprise. I coudn't even see Sam by episode 10. I came to think about it one night, and I when I watched it, I just couldn't find a Sam in him. He is a truly good actor that doesn't succumb to typecasting. Archer is completely different than Beckett... and I think both are fantastic characters. I couldn't be happier that Bakula got the part for Captain Jon A.

I agree with Archerfan (although I think his or her opinion may be biased towards Archer due to the name...archerfan...lol) Quantum Leap is my favorite non Star Trek show, and at first I thought I'd be thinking of Archer as Sam on Enterprise, but now after 2 seasons Sam never comes to mind when I watch Enterprise.  I coudn't even see Sam by episode 10.  I came to think about it one night, and I when I watched it, I just couldn't find a Sam in him.  He is a truly good actor that doesn't succumb to typecasting.  Archer is completely different than Beckett... and I think both are fantastic characters.  I couldn't be happier that Bakula got the part for Captain Jon A.

Stardate:213808.9

I did the same thing when enterprise started.I called him Sam instead of Archer.Then when they had Dean Stockwell on there i was like "hey it's Al!!!!"

There has actually been times at the end of episdoes when i expect him to leap or say "oh boy"at the begging.Then i have to remind myself im not watching Quantum Leap.

I was a bit speptical(i know i spelled that wrong) at first about Scott being Captian as well.But you'll find he fits the role very well.

Just like everybody else has said, Bakula really grows on you as captain. I didn't like him at first either. Also, I think in the second and third seasons he has become more comfortable in the role. I think he's great as Archer now.

Yes, Enterprise is a prequal, in that it takes place before TOS. They wanted to show the fans how it all began. It may not look more primitive than TOS, but I like to think that's because of our own advances in special effects. There has been speculation that this series will include, or lead up to, the Romulan War and/or the founding of the Federation.

Who knows, we may have a future series which does take place after Voyager. But I think Enterprise will need to be more successful before they even start thinking about another series.

When I saw my first ENT episode I had never heard of Scott Bakula before. And I didn't know about Quantuum Leap either. So for me he was always Jon Archer.

Talking about commanding skills. Big Steve, since as I understood you are new to the show, please consider that the expanse is an undiscovered region, even by the Vulcans. Archer knows only that it is supposed to be a dangerous region. And he has almost no information on the Xindi. Therefore it's hard to show distinctive captaining skills.

If you have the chance to see some episodes from season 1 or 2 you will find him capable to fit captains shoes.

Guest bella

When Enterprise's mission begins in Season 1, the humans think that everyone will be friendly, or at least not hostile. They are out there to explore for themselves, make new friends and learn about the Universe...not just rely on the Vulcans.

They have no idea what it is really like. The Vulcans had been mollycoddling them.

Archer at the beginning is essentially an explorer, but hasn't a clue about the dangers.

He changes with his experiences as he realises how dangerous and strange it is out there in deep space. I think seeing those changes is fascinating. Going back to watch the beginning of Season 1 after The Expanse shows how much they have all developed as a crew.

I think he made some bad decisions, and had a lot to learn, but Archer is improving all the time as a captain. And I do like it that he isn't perfect ... who is?

Since I am unfamiliar with Bakula's work on Quantum Leap, I has no problem accepting him as Capt. Archer. I've found him to be watchable and a very good actor, as are all of them on this version of ST IMO.

(although I think his or her opinion may be biased towards Archer due to the name...archerfan...lol)

Yes, I guess you could say I'm somewhat biased :blink: , but I wasn't Archerfan after only one episode. I to am a fan of Quantum Leap and thought of Sam when ENT first premiered. But now like you said, Sam doesn't come to mind and I think that is due to Scott Bakula's acting abilities.

Edited by archerfan

From the first episode of "Broken Bow" he seemed to fit in the series right away. I believe it was an excellent casting job. He makes an excellent predecessor to Mr. Shatner. He has a very gifted talent for displaying the struggles of human emotions and decision making.

I've never once given any thought to anyone being Archer other than Scott Bakula, he's perfect for the role!

I don't get the deal when people say ENT needs to look more primitive.

Consider TOS was made 40 years ago, the look for their technology was cutting edge (YES! buttons and switches were cutting edge back THEN) now I ask you; how could you want them to produce ENT with something more primitive than that, nothing more primitive exists!

Lastly, there are many fans out here that have been waiting for this for a long time and at last it's our turn. Series set after VOY can still happen later, just be patient as we have been while waiting for ENT.

I think Scott makes a wonderful captain but i may be biased as i have always liked him. I think he is doing a great job and will get even better with time :blink:

I've never once given any thought to anyone being Archer other than Scott Bakula, he's perfect for the role!

DITTO, Alterego!

I also agree that Scott Bakula is doing a fine job as Captain Archer. I was never a Quantum Leap fan although I've watch it a couple of times I never really got hooked into it,but Bakula did a fine job in that show.But to me he makes the perfect Captain for Enterprise.

I love him. I watched Quantum Leap, and don't even think of Sam when watching Enterprise. He is getting better with each season, and I am loving this season. He seems a little tougher also, which makes him very sexy!!