Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Wizard World Comic Con Chicago

5 Trek stars appeared on stage today at Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, IL near O'Hare Airport. Shatner was very talkative, answering only two questions before his time ran out. Spiner was hysterically funny. DeLancie was very entertaining. Brooks was his usual chaming, thoughtful, philosophical self. Koenig was interesting, talking of Babylon 5 a bit. More details later.

Saturday at Comic Con:

Avery Brooks was the first Trek guest to appear on stage.

Upon seeing final DS9 script, Brooks went into the writers & said, "You killed Sisko." The writers said "No we made you a God!" But that's not the way I looked at it" said Avery.

Brooks said, in talking about being asked how he did certain scenes and why: "The minute the profundidty happens, it's gone. ... Except in reruns!"

In talking about music in his life, Avery mentioned that his mother Eva was a piano teacher & organist. Another relative was a cofounder of the Delta Rhythm Boys. One granmother was an organist & pianist.

Asked how Baseball became the sport of DS9, Brooks gave credit for that to Michael Pilar a life-long baseball fan. Asked who he based his managerial style on in Take Me off to the Holodeck he agreed that it was very much Dusty Baker.

Brooks credited the success of DS9 on the extraordinary writing & people involved both in front & behind the camera. He gave credit to the writers for being willing to listen to him & giving him the opportunity to talk about how he felt as a human being.

Asked about teaching, Brooks said he was a tenured professor at Rutgers & that he has been contemplating a return to full time teaching. He spoke of wanting to have all disciplines involved in classes where the emphasis is in "teaching us together to be .. better."

Asked about Trials and Tribulations - Avery first replied "Oh Lord!" In answer to how it was reacting to green screen in shooting the episode, Avery said, "It took a looonnng time."

Asked about getting the part of Hawk, he acknowdelged that the author had to give his blessing, but felt that Robert Urich had a lot to do with him getting the part.

Asked his favorite place off the station, Brooks replied, "Anything on the Holosuite."

Asked why Jadzia was killed & replaced by Ezri, Brooks after a long pause said, "Terry Farrell wanted to come back to earth!"

Brooks concluded saying, "The feeling is indelible. I wish I could touch each one of your hands" and "May all I see surround you. May the glow of life within guide you on your way."

Following a panel with Burt Ward and Adam West, Brent Spiner took the stage.

Upon being welcomed to Chicago, Brent replied that he's been to Chicago before and he likes Chicago, but this isn't Chicago. "Where are we? Off the Highwayville? This could be anywhere."

Complaining about not having a mic so he could wander the stage, Brent walked down the tables, speaking into each stationary seated mic. He noticed someone messing with their camera phone & asked "Are you trying to record and sell this on e-bay? Security!"

Spiner noted that the line for William Shatner's Photo Ops stretched all the way to Chicago.

To be continued...

Edited by trekz