Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Romulan War & Founding of UFP

Can anyone please provide an episode in which it was explained that the Romulan War lead to the founding of the United Federation of Planets? If this was never explained on screen, how would you feel if the producers decided not to feature the Romulans as a major villian-race on ENT? What if they decide to have some other reason for the UFP forming?

I myself think they should go for the Romulan War and end the series with the formation of the UFP or save this event for a future movie.

In any event, I'm bringing this up becuase I once read that Berman or Braga said they wouldn't be using the Romulans on ENT becuase we've "seen plenty of them" in the previous shows. I myself, hope that what he "really" means is that we won't see them before the "Romulan War" begins in season 5 or 6.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Also, wasn't the whole point of placing ENT, as a prequal, in the time perriod they chose, to show Starfleet's first mission followed by the Romulan War?

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

This is what the "Star Trek Chronology: The History of the Future" April 1993 edition says:

Romulan Wars begin between Earth forces and the Romulan Star Empire. The war is fought with primitive atomic weapons, and the Romulan fleet is not even equiped with Warp drive. Among the casualities are several members of the Stiles family.

Date is conjecture from "Balance of Terror." War ended about 100 years prior to episode; this date was four years prior to that. The conflict was described as being between Earth and the Romulans, suggesting that the United Federation of Planets did not exist at that point.

Romulan Wars ended by the Battle of Cheron. The romulans suffer a humiliating military defeat at the hands of Earth forces.

"The Defector." Admiral Jarok (as Setal) mentioned the battle but not the date, although this was presumably just before the peace treaty is signed, since he associated the battle with the establishment of the neutral Zone. (See next Entry)

Editors' Note: The Battle of Cheron may refer to the planet in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield,: although Spoc, in that episode(set in 2268) indicated an imfamiliarity with the inhabitants od Cheron. It is also possible that the Battle of Cheron may refer to Captain Garth's defeat of a Romulan ship (Mentioned in "Whom Gods Destroy").

Romulan peace treaty signed, establishing the Romulan Neutral Zone as a buffer between the planets Romulus and Remus and the rest of the galaxy, violation of which is considered to be an act of war. All negotiations were conducted by subspace radio, without face to face contact between the parties. The pact is known as the Treaty of Algeron.

There is more about the founding of the Federation but I'm getting a headache lol, but in "Outcast" Troi mentions that the Federation was founded in 2161 and in "The First Duty" the Federation emblem also gives the founding date as 2161.

EDIT: Also, wasn't the whole point of placing ENT, as a prequal, in the time perriod they chose, to show Starfleet's first mission followed by the Romulan War

I always thought the point was simply to show Starfleet before the founding of the federation, to show how it all began.

Well, this show "starts" in 2151, that's only 10 years before the Federation. I thought they might run this show longer than the traditional 7 seasons or conclude the Romulan War and found the Federation in the movies.

Anyway, I only consider what we see on screen to be canon. What we see in the ST:Encyclopedia and similar books, if it's not confirmed by what's on screen, then I see it as "subject to change". It gives the writers and producers freedom instead of being bound by some technical book.

Anyway, I don't recall how they say it happened, but I'm pretty sure that it's been hinted that Humans and Romulans fought a war, this lead to Humans making grand allies, and when the war ended, they unified, thus founding the United Federation of Planets.

Anywho, do you know of any episodes that explain that the Romulan War is what lead to the UFP?

Well, this show "starts" in 2151, that's only 10 years before the Federation.  I thought they might run this show longer than the traditional 7 seasons or conclude the Romulan War and found the Federation in the movies.

Anyway, I only consider what we see on screen to be canon.  What we see in the ST:Encyclopedia and similar books, if it's not confirmed by what's on screen, then I see it as "subject to change".  It gives the writers and producers freedom instead of being bound by some technical book.

Anyway, I don't recall how they say it happened, but I'm pretty sure that it's been hinted that Humans and Romulans fought a war, this lead to Humans making grand allies, and when the war ended, they unified, thus founding the United Federation of Planets.

Anywho, do you know of any episodes that explain that the Romulan War is what lead to the UFP?

If only what is seen on the screen is canon then there are a lot of things that don't exist in the Star Trek universe. A lot of background was written in for characters and events that we never see on the screen but we know to be canon. This Chronology is considered canon, it was created by Michael and Denise Okuda for the writers of TNG so they would have it as a guide when writing episodes. So you may not consider it canon but TPTB do. Besides, the events and dates they use in this chronology come from the episodes themselves.

I don't believe there is any episode that indicates that the war directly leads to the Federation, that would just be an assumption.