Sign in to follow this  
Riaan

Keeping track of time

OK, I'm going to stick my neck out and ask a potentially dumb question.

How do the crew of Enterprise NX-01 (or any other Enterprise/Starfleet crew for that matter) keep track of time, especially when away from the ship? I don't recall seeing any of the crew wearing wrist watches or any other type of chronometer. Away teams have to report to the ship at certain intervals, so how do they know when it's time to report in? Is there some sort of chronometer in the communicators, maybe?

Good question Riaan.I've always felt that they had chronometers on all their equipment, Communicators, Tricorders,Com Panels, even if they never show them..I seem to remember that in TOS there was a Chronometer between Sulu and Chekov on the bridge..Can't remember exactly the episode but I can remember Sulu telling Kirk "The Chronometer is running backwards!"..Then they showed it..I just don't think they ever showed Chronometers on the other series but they must have had them..

Edited by spacetigger

Thanks guys. This is something I've been wondering about for a long time. I knew they had a chronometer on the the ships because of the references to it, but nothing (to my knowledge) has ever been said or referenced when they are away. It's bugged the hell out of me. Anyone got any other ideas?

Maybe on their communicators there's a button when pushed states, "At the tone the time is..." :clap:

Well in star trek 2 kirk did have a watch on you see it in most of the movie but I think the only reason they put it in is so kirk can look at his watch call spock and tell him that it has been two hours.

I've wondered about that since TOS. I always assumed that they either had some kind of chronometer in their tricorders - or whatever - or that part of their Starfleet training included ways of estimating the passage of time in different situations.

Now that question bugs me even more! :blink:

I was watching ST VI last night and I was reminded of this topic. In this movie above the viewscreen on the bridge there apears to be a chronometer! And also above various stations around the bridge..This was the first movie that I recall seeing these. But I'll have to go back and re-eatch the others. Perhaps I just never noticed before..