Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trekz

Star Trek Las Vegas con 2009 reviews

I'm still jet lagged after flying home last night and arriving in Chicago this morning, napping, thne working 1 - 9 today. But the convention was fun, other than the usual Creation schedule problems with its autograph lines.

Saw Mike and Indy (and daughter) there, which was a highlight. There were Enterprise, Voyager, and Deep Space panels with cast members from those series, including Colm Meany! Martok and Gowron appeared on stage in character and costume and were wildly funny and entertaining - they did a Klingon opera segment that was hysterical! There was also a Klingon salute panel with Todd, Plakson, Shuck, Crosby and Sheppard.

TNG folks included Elizabeth Dennehy (Shelby), Hallie Todd (Lal) and Carolyn McCormick (Minuet) were fun to see. Dorn appeared with Frakes (who wandered the auditorum). Brent Spiner (Data) was hysterical as a solo act. TOS stars included Takei (Sulu), and of course Shatner and Nimoy, who were very funny together.

Movie guests included Stephen Collins (Decker), Laurence Luckinbill (Sybok), the fantastic Christopher Lloyd who was wonderful, and the super cool Zachary Quinto who had one of the great lines of the convention ... which is a teaser for my next post!

Trekz out!

Yeah, it was awesome, even better than I anticipated. But since we just now drug ourselves into the house, my review will have to wait.

Quinto was very laid back and friendly toward questioners. The topic of Nimoy and Shatner appearing together came up. Quinto started to pace the stage and said words to the effect that he was "at the convention last year and I got to hang out with Leonard. We appeared together. This year Shatner shows up and I get kicked to the curb! What the hell is up with that!" He was joking, but the crowd just roared and applauded!

Shatner startred out telling how he took his grand-daughter to a Jonas Bros. Concert. He said he hadn't seen the Star Trek movie. Shatner said "I'm no different than you, I probably have more money than you (laughter). Shatner said he didn't want people seeing him go the the movie, because then they'd ask him how he liked the movie and how he felt not being in the movie. If he didn't go the the movie, he wouldn't have to deal with those questions!

Shatner told the classic story about stealing Nimoy's bicycle. At the end he added that "Leonard talked to George (Takei) and he's hated me ever since."

Shatner told about falling off a horse and having the horse crush part of his leg. He was taken to the hospital in an ambulance where the gurney was not tied down and it ricoched around the back of the ambulance. He gets into the emergency room and has to give a urine sample "So Captain Kirks was peeing ont a bottle and a nurse looked in from around the curtain and says "I'm your biggest fan"!

More later - Trekz out!

Glad you made it home safe and sound, Indy!

Thanks, trekz! You, as well, and I hope your redeye flight went as well as possible.

Well, I have tons of photos to go through, but I thought I'd start with a couple. The Experience may not be there anymore, but the SpaceQuest Bar still exists and it seemed that was the place to go after the scheduled events were over. We ended up there at least a couple of times and had a great time. It was kinda like a game of 'how many trekkies can we fit in the SpaceQuest Bar?' There were so many of us at times that the bartenders were frazzled and couldn't even get to everybody who wanted drinks.

One enterprising Trekkie decided to start a post-it note campaign trying to illustrate to The Hilton what a mistake it was to let The Experience go. We got in on it early and there were probably less than 10 post-its when we placed ours on the wall. We were amazed to check it everyday and see how it had grown. Toward the end of the convention it looked like this:

100_2390.jpg

100_2391.jpg

I'm sure they removed it once the convention was over, but it was fun to read the new ones everyday. I certainly hope the Hilton got the hint!

I enjoyed all the actors on stage. I especially enjoyed seeing the 3 Spocks together, Martok / Gowron in costume and Christopher Lloyd..The best part of the con for me was seeing Trekz and Indy there..

I had a good time. It was a typical Vegas convention for me. There was plenty of excitement and laughter..And of course there were some aggravation because of long autograph lines and some personal disappointment for me..Yup, pretty much a normal Vegas con for me. Good times..I did get lots of cool autographs and I did 2 photo ops..Counting down till 2010..Looks like the convention is still going to be in the Hilton next year..

The epic story of Bill stealing Leonard's bike (as told by Shatner in 2009)

At the lunch break the cast had to go to the cafeteria which was a long way from the Star Trek set. If you didn't get there quickly, you missed lunch. I'm athletic, Leonard's not. He's esoteric, I kick ass. Leonard didn't get lunch. By the time the asst. director said "Lu", I was out the door. Leonard waited for the "ch." So Leonard buys a bike and beats me to lunch. So I bought a chain (for his bike). Leonard buys bolt cutters, cuts chain, beats me to lunch. Next day, I took the bike. For safekeeping! He went to my dressing room to get it, but he was attacked by my dobbermans! The next day I put his bike way up high in the sound stage. I said Leonard, your bike's up there! And I ran to lunch!

Leonard talked to George about it, and they've hated me ever since.