Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

"Nexus" in Generations - connection to Star Trek?

I wonder if the Nexus could be a remnant of the one of the two artificial black holes created by the Red Matter in Star Trek?

Star Trek (2009) is in a different timeline from all other Star Trek though isn't it? Anything that happened in Star Trek (2009) doesn't count/affect the rest of the Star Trek universe. That was my understanding of it anyway.

Otherwise if there's something of Star Trek (2009) showing up in 'our' Star Trek movies/series then the whole discussion/argument of 'alternate timelines/universes' kind of gets thrown out and we're left with the argument/discussion of how our Star Trek's timeline has been totally altered by Star Trek (2009).

The way I'm understanding it, the way the writers/director wanted things was for this movie to be separate from all other Star Treks in every way other than in name. In other words, for Star Trek (2009) to be a 'stand alone' movie... sharing the franchise name but also not part of the franchise freeing them up to do whatever they wanted and not have to honor Star Trek canon.

If the Nexus is a result of the red matter then that means that Star Trek (2009) happened in a single timeline which means that Journey to Babel couldn't happen the way it did originally because Amanda was killed before that would have happened. Star Trek IV couldn't happen the way it originally did as well... for the same reason. Amanda was dead before ST IV, there'd be a lot of things from Star Trek canon that could never happen if Star Trek (2009) happened in a 'single timeline' universe.

If, as it has been suggested it did not happen in a 'single timeline' universe and is instead a branch-off in time forming a whole new timeline and not altering the real Star Trek timeline then the Red Matter couldn't be affecting anything within 'our' Star Trek timeline... at least not within my understanding of how it works.

This concept of alternate timelines and the future not being affected by the past/present is new to me though so I suppose I could have it all wrong. In which case I'm interested in reading everyones opinions/explanations on how it all works.

Extremely doubtful, I would say impossible.

Not only for the reasons mentioned by VBG, but also because the Nexus only appeared every 39.1 years. This pattern does not correspond to any year seen in Star Trek (2009): 2233, 2258, or 2387. The Nexus would have appeared in 2254, but that's as close as you get.

No, I don't see a connnection, either. It was just a natural, if bizarre, roving 'doorway' into what was some sort of otherwise closed , extra-temporal reality where time is not binding on one physically, a reality in which the thoughts of the one who is pulled in shape the form it takes -and at least to one's physical senses is very real...as was to Jim..for a 'time'... Now, the Prophets live in something a bit similar there,in the respect that they are outside the 'Linear' stream of time-(and here it just now occurs, is a tip of the hat to VGB's comments!)) ;one can however see, if one thinks about it-pun half-intended-allusions to 'Where No One Has Gone Before''(TNG) in which the Enterprise -D travels to a region of our galaxy so remote..where again, thoughts become 'REAL'...or look like it. In this case, the situations vary-Tasha back on her colony(she feels as if) , embracing her cat....Worf 'conjuring up' a Klingon female-whom Geordi or someone sees as well, and asks him about it..Picard sees his mother, 'speaks with her', even if Will does not see her...