Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

My name is Rip Van Winkle and I can't sleep

CORVALLIS, Ore. – An Oregon man says people usually think he's joking when he introduces himself as Rip Van Winkle. But that's the name on his birth certificate. Really. Van Winkle told the Corvallis Gazette Times that his father and grandfather were nicknamed Rip, but his dad made things official for his son, figuring the nickname would eventually stick to him too.

Now, he has a little fun with it.

"I went to the doctor's office," the 37-year-old contractor said. "My name is Rip Van Winkle, and I can't sleep."

He owns and operates Rip Van Winkle Residential Contract and Repair, and prides himself on being able to fix almost anything.

Van Winkle said he would never change things.

"It's cool, because you get a chance to be yourself," he said. "How many Rip Van Winkles do you meet?"

Um, pretty sure insomnia wasn't Rip Van Winkle's problem. Actually, his problem would have been the exact opposite.

If your name is Rip Van Winkle, you really should get the joke right, IMO.

Um, pretty sure insomnia wasn't Rip Van Winkle's problem. Actually, his problem would have been the exact opposite.

I think he was being ironic.

I think he was being ironic.

I suppose. Still not that funny though.