Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Episode Order - Production or Air Date?

In the timeline you should go with Stardate if one is given, otherwise go with airdate as opposed to production number.

The example we discussed in another thread about Chekov's introductin to us would be an example where I would go with airdate simply becasue that was the first instance where the fans "meet" Chekov.

Catspaw was the first episode he worked on but from our standpoint as TV Viewers we have no way of knowing that because we can only see the shows when they are shown to us.

So if you have a question of what order to consider the shows in I would say go to STARTREK.COM and go to the episode guide and go by the order they have them listed in (unless it's a timeline question then go by stardate).

I'll stick with what I said here. I like to have things in the order in which they were originally showed. They showed them in the order they showed them in so that's the order I want them in on a DVD.

Yes, but NBC was sloppy and didn't show them in the intended order.  I'd rather have them in chronological order instead of airdate order, back in the 60's, this wasn't done, which is why I don't want them in airdate sequence.

Yeah but my whole reason for wanting them in air date is to stay true to the reality of how they were seen. Like Star Wars for instance, I don't like the idea of them going back and changing the old movies to spruce them up with new graphics. That's not how they were seen in 1977 or 1982 or 1984. They may have been intended that way but that's not how it was.

They (TPTB) have the technology now to go back and make the Klingons of the 60's have forehead ridges but should they? I say no, that's not true to the reality of how the show became known to the world starting on day 1 and in my mind the same holds true for the order in which the episodes are viewed. If you want to see them the same way the world first saw them then Air Date is the way to do it. Just look at ST.COM's TOS section for episodes and see what order they have them in, airdate or production #.

CJLP, I too haven't changed my mind. I want to see the order on the DVDs exactly how they appeared on 60s TV...That's the way the were originally shown and that's the way the DVDs should be..In my opinion.

I agree that they should be in original airdate order. That's the way everybody saw them in 1966, and that's the way Star Trek made history. Maybe it wasn't the "correct" order, but the fans of that time period were able to see past the slight incongruities and recognized the bigger issue; that Star Trek was an extraordinary series.

If you say that NBC was "sloppy," that may be true, but it's all part of history now. They were aired in a certain order, be it right or wrong, and in spite of that (or maybe even because of that, who knows) Star Trek still became what it is today. I say you shouldn't be trying to fix something now, after all these years, because, after all, it isn't really broken.

Well, I think it's broken and needs fixing. :laugh:  :laugh:

You seem to be in the minority, CJLP!!

Ok, if it's that broke in your mind, fix it by watching the episodes in ANY order you like!!! I probably wouldn't watch them in order anyway. For season 1, I might start with Shore Leave and Balance of Terror. For season 2, I'll skip right to The Trouble With Tribbles.

Well, that just sounds like laziness on your part. :laugh: (Really, it's not that hard to switch a DVD.)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, for season 3, I wouldn't watch Spock's Brain at all! :laugh:

Hey, I like "Spock's Brain"! :laugh:

:laugh: Obviously you haven't seen very much of TOS, tsk tsk.

Like Star Wars for instance, I don't like the idea of them going back and changing the old movies to spruce them up with new graphics. That's not how they were seen in 1977 or 1982 or 1984. They may have been intended that way but that's not how it was.

1980 and 1983 :(

And For Staying On Topic.

I'll Watch Em Anyway I Please...Which Will Most Likely Be The Chronological Order Of Events Within Star Trek. :dude:

1980 and 1983  :dude:

I knew it was something like that, I remember being in 9th grade when Jedi came out, I guess I was a bit younger for Empire, something like 6th or 7th Grade.