Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Thrashers' Dan Snyder Dies From Injuries

snyder_6564.jpg

Dan Snyder

February 23, 1978 - October 5, 2003

ATLANTA (AP) - Atlanta Thrashers forward Dan Snyder died Sunday night, six days after he was involved in a horrific car crash with teammate Dany Heatley.

Snyder of Elmira, Ont., died in hospital from massive brain injuries without ever regaining consciousness, the team said.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 130 kilometres an hour on a narrow two-lane road last Monday night when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence.

The car split in half. The players were thrown into the road.

Heatley already was facing several charges, including a felony.

``The charges will be upgraded. It hasn't occurred yet,'' Sgt. John Quigley, an Atlanta Police Department spokesman said Sunday night. ``I expect them to be upgraded in the near future.''

He said investigators will meet with the District Attorney's office on Monday morning.

``It would likely be vehicular homicide in the first degree,'' Quigley said.

That charge carries a prison sentence of three to 15 years. A plea bargain to the lesser charge of second-degree vehicular homicide, a misdemeanor, is also possible.

When the new charge is laid against Heatley, he will also have to pay another, and likely larger bond. He already paid a $50,000 bond in relation to the initial charges.

Snyder, 25, underwent surgery for a skull fracture but never emerged from his coma.

``We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Dan Snyder,'' the Thrashers said in a statement. ``Dan was a teammate and friend to all of us. We feel a tremendous amount of pain as an organization and extend deepest sympathies to his family.''

Snyder, a centre who had 10 goals and four assists in 36 games for Atlanta last season, had surgery on his ankle in September before the start of training camp. He was expected to start the season on the injured list.

``The news of his passing fills all of us with an overwhelming sense of sorrow,'' NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.``The NHL extends its deepest sympathies to his parents who have lost a cherished son, to siblings who have lost a loving brother and to players who have lost a devoted teammate. Our prayers go out to his entire family.''

"On behalf of NHLPA members, I want to convey our deepest sympathies to Dan's family, friends and teammates during this difficult time," said NHLPA Executive Director Executive Director Bob Goodenow. "Dan was a tremendous person and through his hard work and dedication he achieved his goal of becoming an NHL player. Dan will be greatly missed."

Snyder signed with the Thrashers as a free agent in 1999 after playing four seasons of junior hockey for Owen Sound in the Ontario Hockey League.

He spent most of his first three professional seasons in the minor leagues, helping Orlando win the International Hockey League title in 2000-01 and playing on the Chicago Wolves' American Hockey League championship team in 2001-02. He also played 35 games for Chicago last season, getting 11 goals and 12 assists.

Snyder's death came as a shock, said Brian O'Leary, an assistant coach with the Owen Sound Platers during Snyder's time with that team.

``I really thought he was going to pull out of this thing,'' O'Leary said in a late-night telephone interview with the Owen Sound Sun-Times on Sunday. ``I know the family was optimistic. I know he was in a medically induced coma. I know his vital signs were good. I don't know what happened but as far as everybody knew, everything was progressing well.''

In addition to his legal problems, Heatley also sustained serious injuries in the crash.

He underwent surgery Saturday for a broken jaw and an MRI found that he tore two ligaments in his right knee. He will require more surgery in about a week for the knee injury, certainly threatening any return to the ice this season.

Heatley is the gap-toothed leader of the Thrashers, a 22-year-old with both toughness and great skill with the puck. Last season, he scored a team-record 41 goals and was MVP of the all-star game.

The Thrashers would only say that Heatley is out indefinitely, but it's clear general manager Don Waddell was planning for the season without his best player. He traded for Carolina Hurricanes goalie Jani Hurme on Friday with an eye toward acquiring help up front.

Waddell said it's not known if Heatley will miss the entire season.

``Until doctors go in and see the extent of the tear, it's impossible to give an accurate recovery timetable,'' he said.

Click for Spoiler:

Atlanta Thrashers forward Dany Heatley has been charged with vehicular homicide in the first degree in connection with an accident last week which led to the death of teammate Dan Snyder on Sunday night. A spokesman for the district attorney's office, Erik Friedly, said the charge was based on a preliminary finding that Heatley was driving recklessly.

Snyder died Sunday night, six days after sustaining massive brain injuries in the crash. The exact cause of death has yet to be determined.

The new charge carries with it a prison term of three to 15 years. A plea bargain to the lesser charge of second-degree vehicular homicide, a misdemeanor, is also possible.

Heatley had already been charged with serious injury by vehicle, but that charge was dropped after the vehicular homicide count was filed. He also still faces four misdemeanour counts, each of which are punishable by up to a year in prison. He is free on $50,000 bail.

Prosecutors are waiting for more evidence before taking their case to the grand jury, which would decide on the formal charges.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 130 kilometres an hour on a narrow two-lane road last Monday night when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence. The car split in half and the players were thrown into the road

Investigators expect to know this week the results of blood tests, which will determine if alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Heatley's agent said last week that alcohol was not a factor in the accident.

Thrashers general manager Don Waddell said the team will go ahead and play Thursday's season opener against Columbus. He says after speaking with Snyder's family, they expressed a desire that the team needed to move forward by playing hockey and that their son would have wanted it that way.

Following Thursday's game, the team will fly to Elmira, Ontario to attend Snyder's funeral on Friday.

Thrashers' Dany Heatley

heatley_78958.jpg

Edited by Takara_Soong

A very sad day for the hockey world indeed. :look: I thought he was going to be okay from what I'd heard, that surgeries had gone well and such. I feel so sad about this and I can't even imagine what Dany Heatley is going through right now. He killed his teammate and now he may never play hockey again is convicted of vehicular homicide. Two young players with their futures snatched away by one act of stupidity. Really makes you appreciate the fragility of life. :laugh:

R.I.P Dan Snyder...

Yes. That truly is sad. Really teaches you a lesson however. No matter how safe and careful you think you are, you can still be taken away by one single act of stupidity.

A very sad day for the hockey world indeed. :look:  I thought he was going to be okay from what I'd heard, that surgeries had gone well and such. I feel so sad about this and I can't even imagine what Dany Heatley is going through right now. He killed his teammate and now he may never play hockey again is convicted of vehicular homicide.  Two young players with their futures snatched away by one act of stupidity. Really makes you appreciate the fragility of life. :laugh:

R.I.P Dan Snyder...

My condolenses certainly go out to the Snyder family. It is such a tragic loss.

I think Dany Heatley's mental state more than his physical condition or possible jail term will decide if he is able to play again. He is going to be carrying a lot of guilt over this and he will have to decide what path to chose. Hopefully he chose a path that will honour his teammate rather than slipping into drugs or alcohol.

It's not impossible for him to play if he does get a jail term. You may recall Craig MacTavish spent time in jail for vehicular manslaughter. He turned his life around and was given a chance by the Oilers and had a very solid career.

Personally I wonder how much the Ferrari had to do with the accident. They are such a smooth driving car and I have heard that it is VERY, VERY easy to think you are going slower than you actually are when you are driving one.

Edited by Takara_Soong