Sign in to follow this  
tnjyoung

Help with Original Series DVD purchase.

I need some help. A few years ago I started buying Star Trek Original series in single DVD format from Columbia House movies. Then, after I had purchased about 9 DVDs at $20.00 a pop, the 22 DVD sets were released- in Yellow, Blue, Red (the ones that had the communicator-shaped hardshell cases). I sold all of the ones that I had with intentions of buying this smaller and more compact set. Well, money got tight with the birth of my second daughter so I never got around to purchasing it. I am ready now...and there is yet another set for sale. It is a DVD/HD DVD set, still in the yellow, blue, red.

My question is this: I am a purist and want things to be as close to original as I can get (no altered music, colors, etc.). So with this in mind...which set should I go for? I am eagerly awaiting your responses.

Edited by tnjyoung

I have the first set released, (purchased for $300+tax) and I regret it.

Yes it is all totally original with no changes to anything and all uncut but, the picture quality sucks imo.

If I could I afford it I would repurchase them all in the remastered version.

If you really must have the unchanged versions then the original sets are for you but you, like me, might regret it later.

They may someday make an Original set with cleaned up video, you could wait for those. Or just get the remastered set. Only the visuals are changed and the changes are for the better imo.

I agree. I have the remastered version of TOS with the enhanced effects. Its really awesome!