Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Star Trek: Enterprise VS. Smallville

Here's something for everyone to ponder.

Star Trek - Revolutionary TV series which set the standard for sci-fi TV.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Took Trek to a whole new level, made sci-fi TV shows popular, and set a new standard for the sci-fi genre.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Took Trek to a space station. Trek looses popularity, but with VOY on the air, both shows compete, keeping DS9 very interresting.

Star Trek: Voyager - Took Trek to the other side of the galaxy. Suffers same ratings problem as DS9, but since the two shows competed with each other, it was enough to keep VOY cranking out excellent sci-fi stories.

Star Trek: Enterprise - The problem lies in too much sci-fi/fantasy on TV and no direct competition. I think that having ENT and SV air on the same night and time, but on rival networks, is an excellent thing. The producers will discover they are no longer in their comfy, expensive chairs, but indeed in danger of cancellation. This will, essentially, force the hand of creativity, thus changing ENT into an extremely creative sci-fi show.

This is just a theory, but what do you guys think?

The competition should keep Berman and Braga on their toes (which is good), but I've never believed that ENT and Smallville's audiences overlap as much as the doomsaying media says. In their minds genre is the redheaded stepchild of t.v. In the reporters' minds, a genre fan is a fan of all genre shows. It isn't necessarily so.

I never had any interest in "Smallville" as it was on opposite 24 originally. I tried it once or twice but the two leads who play Clark and Lana were just terrible. Lana was so perfect she made me want to barf. She makes Mary Richards and Mary Poppins seem like crack whores in comparison. There's such a thing as too sugary sweet. :lol:

Competition can be a good thing. It keeps you on your toes, and hopefully makes you produce quality work. Otherwise you perish.

I like Smallville,but Enterprise is way better in my opinion. Now that Enterprise is on opposite of Smallville I'll have to wait until summer reruns to watch Smallville since I tape Enterprise as I watch it.

I can't be bothered setting my VCR. I used to watch smallville but stopped as soon as it conflicted with Enterprise. Same with Degrassi: the Next Generation. If you want to take on Star Trek, you loose my vote. :saintdevil: