Sign in to follow this  
timmy84

Invading Planets

This is actually my first time in this part of the website, so I'll just get start to the point.

Does Starfleet have a standing army?

Now we do know that Starfleet is the defense agency of the Federation, so it would need the ability to wage a war (even defensive ones require a army of some sort). Now, I have brought this up on another board and there are usaually two arguments.

Yes, Starfleet has a standing army. The Starfleet Marines.

No, Starfleet woudn't need a army because they would just need superior space forces.

Now, we have seen Starfleet officers in combat situations. Twice on DS9 (of course, I should point out now I'm referring to the 24th century Starfleet, not the 23rd or 22nd century). Once defending a colony from Klingons. And again holding a Dominion sub-space relay. Some say this isn't enough. There just security with body armor. I can't dispute that possibilitie. But I have come up with a example that would show Starfleets need for a army.

Septimus III.

It was a Cardassian planets that was defended by the 11th Order (about 500,000 men) who were defeated by 15 Klingon Divisions on the ground. Yes, ground. It was stated that the 15 divisions were landed on the planet. Now, it would have been impossible for the Klingons to provide divisions to Federation worlds. So would Starfleet have divisions of there own defending colonies? The Klingons can't be the only ones fighting the ground war. I'm sure there were even a couple Romulan Legions thrown in at one point.

So, what do you guys think? Is there a Starfleet ground force?

:blink:

I would say that yes, Starfleet has ground forces. However, Starfleet is first and foremost an explorratory program and functions as a military only when needed.

I dounbt Starfleet would be devided up into sections like our military since Starfleet is more like a NAVY/NASA hybrid.

Perhaps the Federation has some kind of "futuristic army" for holding planets while Starfleet keeps the peace?

I would think so.However,I would think that maybe such an army would be composed of "National Guard" type units,the members of which would be native to the worlds and/or star system their particular unit is based in.These units may not have anything to do with the Starfleet.