Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Net-talking toaster to burn news onto bread

Many things have appeared on toast: Marmite, Vegemite, jam and even Cylons. Now a designer’s invented a toaster that can burn pretty much anything onto your morning slice, including the news.

mad_toaster.jpg

The Scan Toaster: toasts news, weather and pictures onto your bread

The Scan Toaster connects to a PC over USB and downloads everything from local weather conditions and the current time to the morning’s news headlines.

mad_toaster_01.jpg

Individual modules (left) are heated and moved about (center) to create the on-toast image

Inside the toaster is a network of toasting “modules”, each heated by a hot wire. Each module can move by 30° and, once the user selects what they want on their toast - excluding a topping, of course - the modules align themselves and burn the appropriate content onto the bread.

The appliance is a finalist in design competition run by manufacturer Electrolux and designer Sung Bae Chang said he got the idea whilst - you guessed it - making some toast.

No plans to manufacture the toaster on a mass scale have popped up yet.

wow that is crazy, i think ill just take a regular toaster though i like to eat it while its warm and i dont think i would have finished reading so fast

Impressive. But if they want to make real money, they'll invent a toaster that produces images of Jesus or the Virgin Mary on toast, suitable for auctioning on e-bay. :rolleyes:

Impressive. But if they want to make real money, they'll invent a toaster that produces images of Jesus or the Virgin Mary on toast, suitable for auctioning on e-bay. :rolleyes:

I've actually come across a few sites that did offer it, but I can't find them anymore.