Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Steelers Sign Big Ben Roethlisberger to record deal!

Reporting

Bob Pompeani

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a six-year extension worth $102 million.

That means Big Ben will be with the team at least eight more years because he has two years left on his previous deal.

Roethlisberger gets a $25 million signing bonus and an additional $11 million guarantee for a total of $36 in guaranteed money.

The new Big Ben deal will make him, by far, the highest paid player in franchise history.

"I'd like to say thank you to the Rooney family, the Steelers, Coach Tomlin, Omar, Kevin, my agents Ryan and Bruce, my teammates, my family. There are a lot of thank yous," said Roethlisberger. "As Mr. Rooney said, it was my birthday yesterday and this is a great birthday present to know that I'm going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for a long time. And I told him that I didn't want to go anywhere the day I walked in and that stays true. So I'm glad that I have the opportunity to be here a little bit longer and hopefully finish my career – do another one of these – and finish my career in the black and gold. "

Roethlisberger has a terrific four year resume and last year proved that the previous season was an aberration.

He has emerged as a top tier quarterback and will now be paid accordingly.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani also reports that when he spoke with Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert last month, they both indicated that signing Roethlisberger was their No. 1 off-season priority.

Roethlisberger went on to say the contract extension will allow him to help others as well.

"It's an opportunity now for me to get more involved in the community, more involved with foundations and helping other guys out as well as my own," said Roethlisberger. "Just trying to be a leader and a figure for the Pittsburgh Steelers for many years to come. So I'm very glad and thank you again to the Rooney Family."

The $102 million figure is double that of the previous highest Steelers deal according to Pompeani.