Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Girls Gone Wild - The Magazine....Watch Out Playboy

Girls Gone Wild, the magazine -- look out, Playboy (PLA)

Posted Feb 14th 2008 5:52PM by Tom Barlow

Filed under: Launches, Magazines, Film

The dysfunctional state of the mainstream magazine industry is apparently not enough to dissuade the purveyors of the Girls Gone Wild video franchise from flashing the newsstand. According to Nate Ives of Advertising Age, Girls Gone Wild magazine will soon hit the streets with $9.99 worth of exuberant exhibitionism. Should Playboy (NYSE: PLA) worry?

I'm not particularly savvy on the magazine business, but I think I have the profit model here figured out. Girls Gone Wild haunts the spring break spots, enticing drunken college girls to bare their breasts and more for the camera, and hawks the videos on late night television.

Now, thousands of parents each year are suckered into buying those high school Who's Who books for the pleasure of proving to their relatives that their sons are not losers after all. Is it so hard to believe that the same parent wouldn't pony up a sawbuck for a picture of their daughter at her youthful peak of ripeness? I can imagine the magazine being proudly passed around at the family reunion, after the macaroni salad, before the softball game. "Gosh, is that really Nellie Sue?" says Aunt Jean. "That must have hurt," opines cousin Delores. "Let me borrow that for a minute," says young cousin Carl. "I'll bring it right back."

Yeah, parental pride is sure to lead to the success of the Girls Gone Wild magazine. For many parents, it will be a choice between that or her mug shot for the family Christmas card.

<_<