Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

New Supersonic Passenger Jet - The A2

New Supersonic Passenger Jet - The A2

Posted Feb 5th 2008 3:13PM by Terrence O'Brien

Filed under: Green Tech

What's big, green, and flies through the air at incredible speeds? No, not the Hulk being carried by Superman (we know, comic dorks, one is DC, one is Marvel, relax), but the new A2 supersonic jet.

Dubbed the "son of Concorde", the jet will revolutionize air travel if it ever takes flight. The large, windowless vehicle looks more like a missile than a passenger plane -- and moves more like one too. The aircraft will reach a top speed of Mach 5 (Go Speed Racer!), twice as fast as the now-retired Concorde supersonic airliner, and can fly from London to Sydney, Australia in under 5 hours -- less than quarter of current flight times. Even better, the engines will run on liquid hydrogen, meaning the only exhaust will be water vapor and nitrous oxide, so the carbon footprint of the jet will be negligible.

On a slightly random note, it appears that someone at the Daily Mail has a bit of an obsession with 'The Thunderbirds.' This is the second article in two days to reference the campy, action, puppet show. Weird.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.switched...502_468x300.jpg

All I can say is........WOW!... :jem'hadar:

Yea, something tells me it'll never make it into production

I agree. The picture looks like a hoax. :jem'hadar:

Pretty cool, hopefully it will be cheaper than the Concorde was.

The instant I saw the picture I thought: Concorde.

Yea, something tells me it'll never make it into production

I agree. The picture looks like a hoax. <_<

It looks kind of like a missile. I too wonder if it will ever make it into production, with the way the economy and the airline business is going these days.