Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adm.RegBarclay

Barclay's Personal Log

Hey all,

I've been here for a few years now, mostly existing as a lurker, so I've decided to start this log and perhaps it will encourage me to post more often on the site. Some of you might remember me from the days of the old Starfleet Lounge, and if not then hopefully I will get to know some of you.

I'll start off with describing the fact that I've been extremely bored lately. I've been laid off since November, not due to the state of things in Michigan but because I work an outside job at a golf course, a job that I love, and unfortunately the weather here in the winter doesn't permit golfing :jem'hadar: . I've been trying to kill time with a few hobbies of mine such as online gaming (PC and xBox 360), photoshopping and a bit of web designing. But there's only so much I can do before I become disinterested for the day.

Lately I've become mildly frustrated with a few things related to my service in 'the guard'. I'm required to attend another MOS school so I can be slotted in my current unit, in the job for which I originally enlisted. I was scheduled to leave at the beginning of this month, but the class I was in got canceled. They haven't completely decided what I should do, so I'm kinda hanging around the unit waiting around to find out when and where I'm going, and it bothers me a little because I'm hesitating to make any long-term plans so I can stay flexible for this. That's the Army I guess.

As soon as I get all that straightened out, I intend to go forward with my plans of going back to school for my degree. I decided to take a year off out of high school, and somehow that turned into 4! I feel like if I don't go back soon, that I never will. Ultimately I would like to have a career in politics, but I'd like to study history and literature along the way, and perhaps become a teacher some time in the future.

In other news, I've built a new gaming PC for myself, and I've been using it for the last 3 weeks or so. I am extremely happy with it, it plays all of my games extremely well and it's like night and day compared to my old system. Here are the specs for any other computer geeks that might be floating around here:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, EVGA GeForce 8800 GT superclocked, Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, ASUS P5K-V mobo, WD Raptor 10,000 RPM HDD, ASUS CD/DVD burner with lightscribe, 2GB Kingston dual channel RAM, PC Power & Cooling 750w PSU, running on Windows Vista Ultimate... In time I'd like to drop 2 more GB of ram and another 8800 into this machine.

I'll post back here as time goes on with some updates, hopefully. At least Kor might read this!

I decided to take a year off out of high school, and somehow that turned into 4! I feel like if I don't go back soon, that I never will.

That is exactly why it is never a good idea to take a year off. My son wanted to do that when he graduated High School and I forbid it because I knew the same thing would happen.

A long and boring day today, consisting of a lot of driving. However I finally bought a new car! She's a 2008 Chevy Impala. I'm not a huge fan of the color, which is some sort of beige, but I had to compromise that with the price. The only problem is that I always hate parting with my money...

Good news this time! I finally got promoted after my First Sergeant painstakingly sifted through mounds of paperwork to get it done, I'm very greatful. I also volunteered to be part of the group to head to the base early to get our equipment out of storage, seeing as I only live about 20 minutes from it, and they're going to get me certified to drive certain types of military vehicles.

In other news, I'm going down to the Port Huron area on Sunday to play basketball with a bunch of people, but I have a million things to do here at home before I leave. After that I need to make my car payment... has it been a month already? :frusty:

So a while back, I hit a deer with my car. It's costing around $2500 to repair, and my insurance is covering most of it. Unfortunately the deer hobbled off into the woods, and probably died within a few days. I would have loved to get the deer processed as I'm a fan of venison.

On the bright side, I got to drive an armored tracked vehicle last weekend. I tore through the woods in that beast, it was gratifying to say the least. Here are some pictures of us doing some maintenence on them:

l_25df1ee06662617caa1bb3f1784ab99a.jpg

l_9e5c46463f1adab9b1fcc1930d3f57b0.jpg

l_e0d8f725443e4e829987debfc53e5cbd.jpg

l_b19fc0c64d1d50c84af09738bbe1131b.jpg

Wow, it has been a while.

I've been up to nothing and everything lately, if that makes any sense. I got laid off from my golf course job that I had worked since I was 15, but it's a blessing in disguise because I've taken the opportunity this spring and summer to catch up on some things that I've been missing out on each summer, rather than working 7 days a week.

I've been spending a lot of time with some of my realitives that live about 3 hours away from me. It was good to get away from the normal monotony of life at home. Other than that I've been catching up on my Enterprise DVDs. I realize now that I miss that show; I wasn't particularly fond of season 4, but I think had they let the show continue it might have gotten better, seeing as all that Xindi garbage was over.

Now I'm getting prepared for the 12 day field exercise that my unit is participating in, starting this weekend. This year we get to do live fire, assuming we get all the equipment up and running properly and all our crews certified. It should be fun, except for the nearly 2 weeks of sleeping on the ground, wearing body armor in 80+ degrees, and few showers. But oh well.