Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Italian Court Changes Baby's Name

Italian court changes baby's name

Posted Dec 18th 2007 3:02PM by Sandy Maple

Filed under: Infant / First year, Weird but True

As far as unusual baby names go, "Friday" is not too bad. It is short, means something, and is easy to spell. All in all, I kind of like it. Unfortunately for this couple, the Italian courts do not and have ruled that they cannot name their son "Friday."

Little Friday was already five months old when his name was noticed by a city clerk. The clerk brought the matter to the attention of a tribunal, which decided the name fell into the category of "ridiculous or shameful." Claiming the name would hinder the boy from developing "serene interpersonal relationships", the tribunal moved to protect this child from a lifetime of days-of-the-week jokes.

"We named him Friday because we like the sound of the name. Even if it would have been a girl, we would have named her Friday," the boy's mother, Mara Germano says. Livid, the parents appealed the decision. The appeals court ruled against them, saying the name recalled the servile savage in the novel Robinson Crusoe and pointing out that some superstitious Italians consider Friday to be an unlucky day.

The court ordered his name be changed, but the parents refused. So, the court did it for them, renaming the child Gregory, after the saint whose feast day he was born on.

"My son was born Friday, baptised Friday, will call himself Friday, we will call him Friday but when he gets older he will have to sign his name Gregory," she said. Take that, Italian courts!

On one hand, I wish they did something like this over here with some of the ridiculous names some parents inflict on their kids. On the other hand, this is absolutely no business of any government.

Gov't interference or not, some people take their rights too far and make fools of themselves. For example, giving a kid a ridiculous name. This is one instance where i support gov. interference.Whatever it takes to get the job done.

P.S. I once knew a family that named their kid Sweet Peaches. The horror of going through life with that name :lol:

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

"Gregory" is however a strange and out of date name in Italy, I assure...

there are more commun names for the male children, as "Marco" or "Francesco" or "Antonio"...

Gov't interference or not, some people take their rights too far and make fools of themselves. For example, giving a kid a ridiculous name. This is one instance where i support gov. interference.Whatever it takes to get the job done.

P.S. I once knew a family that named their kid Sweet Peaches. The horror of going through life with that name :lol:

But "Friday" is hardly a ridiculous name.

The appeals court ruled against them, saying the name recalled the servile savage in the novel Robinson Crusoe and pointing out that some superstitious Italians consider Friday to be an unlucky day.

It also recalled a certain fictional officer of the law named Joe Friday, who I'm sure people are more likely to recall than a character from Robinson Crusoe. And since when were superstitious people a special interest group in any country?