Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Auburn Beats Alabama,Gets Bitten By Dog

Auburn Beats Bama, Gets Bitten by Dog

Posted Nov 25th 2007 5:38PM by Ryan Ferguson

Filed under: Alabama Football, Auburn Football, SEC

The Tigers' Jerraud Powers had a good game against Bama, but got a little more than he bargained for after breaking up a pass in the Tigers' endzone:

I was in the back of the end zone celebrating close to the police dog, and I felt something bite me. The policeman was standing there like nothing was happening, and then I saw some blood gushing through my glove.

The crowd was laughing at me and pointing, and then my teammates were laughing at me and that was all they were talking about on the sidelines for the last two minutes of the game. That was embarrassing.

Yeah, the part that kills me is the cop hits Powers with a "Why are you messing with my dog?" look before moving Fido off to a different part of the field.

Don't worry too much about Powers' health, though:

I won't need stitches or anything like that. I think they're trained to not bite down too far under the skin.

They say the Bama-Auburn game is a blood rivalry, but come on... this is getting ridiculous.

This dog probably thought it was Michael Vick!.... :P

Maybe I'm losing my sense of humor, but allowing a police dog to bite someone seems awful to me. Particularly with this occuring in the South, it conjurs up imiages of police dogs being allowed to attack blacks during the Civil Rights movement, not to mention police dogs being lossened on demonstrators in Chicago in 1968. Throw in the image from Iraq of police dogs menacing prisoners and alarms should go off!

IMO the officer should be repremanded, not allowed to work any public events with his dog for a specified length of time, and be required to go through retraining with his dog.

Watching the clip, I can understand why the dog bit him. The guy moved his hand down at the dog, dog probably thought he was going to hit him or his master.

Maybe I'm losing my sense of humor, but allowing a police dog to bite someone seems awful to me. Particularly with this occuring in the South, it conjurs up imiages of police dogs being allowed to attack blacks during the Civil Rights movement, not to mention police dogs being lossened on demonstrators in Chicago in 1968. Throw in the image from Iraq of police dogs menacing prisoners and alarms should go off!

IMO the officer should be repremanded, not allowed to work any public events with his dog for a specified length of time, and be required to go through retraining with his dog.

I agree with you. Look at the cop's expression when the football player jerks his away. He has a look on his face of like " Get away from my dog!" The cop looks as though he had no idea that the dog even bit the guy. He is supposed to maintain control over his dog at all times. I think the football player's remarks were very gracious. I don't think I would have been so understanding.