Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Best Buy Caught Faking Low Nintendo Wii Supplies

Best Buy Caught Faking Low Nintendo Wii Supplies

Posted Nov 13th 2007 10:26AM by Tim Stevens

Filed under: Video Games

Nintendo's Wii console has been very hard to find for a long time now -- so long that some are calling shenanigans. A lot of folks think that Nintendo is artificially creating news and demand by keeping supplies of its little white console low. Those claims have never been substantiated, but now we have some proof that some other players are getting in on the game. The Consumerist has is reporting that Best Buy employees are clearing out their Wii inventories by broadcasting that they're down to a single Wii console -- over and over again.

The report was filed by a witness at the Princeton, New Jersey Best Buy. The witness saw an employee parade around holding a Wii over her head while another employee announced "Julie is now walking through the store with our last Nintendo Wii! If you're looking for a Nintendo Wii, please look for Julie!" Someone in the store grabbed the box and bought the console, of course. 30 minutes later, another employee did the same thing, with another Wii held aloft for all to see. The witness claims he overheard the store's managers discussing the scheme and planning to send Julie out a third time forty minutes later.

I used to love Best Buy but after reading about this and the other dirty tricks that they play, I may have to boycott them..... :nono:

I recall going to Best Buy and politely asking if an item featured in a sale ad was still available and the person replying incredulously that they had been out for some time. The store had only been open a couple hours. Getting people into the store by advertising items when they only have a small inventory stinks imo.

I hope lots of people read this story and keep their eyes and ears open for other retailers acting in such an obnoxious, money-grubbing manner.

Isn't Best Buy the place where their website would say that items were at one price, but if you go into the store asking about it they show you their website (which was really another identical-looking website) where it said the prices were higher than you remember so they could dupe people out of extra money?

i've been scammed by best buy as well it was last year and involved my laptop. those losers. i don't go there much except to look around when i'm bored. also don't trust what their site says about store stock. i've gone in and seen things the site says they don't have.. that's why i call it " brat buy" instead of best buy. because they are bratty sometimes..

the circuit city around here opened up a few months ago.. got some great deals..

Edited by stvoyagerfan21