Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Captain Underpants Ruins Halloween On L.I.

Captain Underpants Ruins Halloween on LI

AP

Posted: 2007-10-28 04:58:36

LONG BEACH, N.Y. (AP) - Call it the Misadventure of Captain Underpants and the Peeved Principal.

A suburban Long Island high school has banned all Halloween costumes after three senior girls showed up last year dressed as the underwear-baring subject of a series of best-selling children's books.

Long Beach High School Principal Nicholas Restivo, who sent the three seniors home to change last year, said the episode solidified his sense that the school's costume tradition was disruptive.

For the Captain Underpants costumes, the three girls donned beige leotards and nude stockings under white briefs and red capes to portray the superhero, who has battled such foes as talking toilets. To Restivo, the appearance was that the girls were naked.

"I'm being a principal. I'm not being an ogre," Restivo said.

He added that some gory costumes could make some students uncomfortable.

Some students don't see it that way. They are circulating a petition opposing the costume crackdown.

"It's one thing if the school won't let us wear outfits that are revealing or inappropriate, but if it is an innocent Halloween costume, we should be allowed to wear it," said junior Meghan Beck.

Curses, Capt. Underpants!.....Soiled....er...I mean....Foiled again!!!

No the principal isn't being an ogre. He acting more like Professor Poopypants!

Yes that's an actual character in this series!

It's a kids book series about a principal who gets hypnotized by two misbehaving students (George and Harold) into beleiving he's a superhero - Captain Underpants - who goes around in his underwear and says Tra La la a lot. IF you know the series you understand it's very light hearted and super silly, not a plot to encourage nudity.

I think this principal is just going to upset his students for being so zero tolerance on such a silly thing. Unless this is a school with lots of problems, this seems very minor imo.

This is like the time my school tried to ban former Budweiser spokesman Spuds McKensie from T-shirts, etc. All my teachers agreed the district was overreacting. I had a T-shirt made of Spuds getting run over by a school bus and all the teachers loved it.

This is like the time my school tried to ban former Budweiser spokesman Spuds McKensie from T-shirts, etc. All my teachers agreed the district was overreacting. I had a T-shirt made of Spuds getting run over by a school bus and all the teachers loved it.

My......what a brown-noser you were back then.......... <_<

My......what a brown-noser you were back then.......... <_<

That's the funny thing. I was a brown-noser and defiant at the same time.