Sign in to follow this  
Fleet Cpt Brooks

star fleet regulations

I don't believe there were regulations that prevented it, none that I am aware of anyway. We know that in the Mirror Universe that Kirk had a relationship with a subordinate female officer and when our Kirk came back home he seemed interested in sparking one up with the same officer in this reality.

It could be that there was a reg but he ignored it.

I just remembered in the episode the naked time when the landing party brought back the virus from the planet there was a scene in the briefing room when Kirk found Spock. he asked Spock if he had been watching that beautiful Yeoman and said captains are not permitted but thin he stopped in mid sentence. I thought there might be a regulation on that.

There very well could be, it wouldn't surprise me. He could also be meaning that "morally" captains aren't permitted. Either way it would seem that if it suited him he would ignore that "rule" lol

There are no specific rules or regulations preventing relationships between crewmembers aboard Federation/Starfleet starships.But,relationships between senior officers and their subordinates are frowned upon and not encouraged.It could lead to all sorts of problems(take Picard and Neela Daren on TNG).Despite this,how Kirk managed not to be entranced by the lovely Yeoman Rand,I will never know.Maybe he had so many other beautiful women he could afford to overlook his Yeoman?Lucky guy... :dude:

No codes of conduct, then? You would think they would have something, if only to prevent sticky situations...

Remember that Janice Rand was not an officer, she was a Yeoman-I think even an Ensign would out rank her-and Kirk was captain of the Enterprise. I'm pretty sure today's military organizations have regulations forbidding "fraternization" between officers and enlisted. I'm thinking Starfleet had this same regulation. But, as a lot of you have pointed out, if Kirk wanted some from Janice Rand, he'd have gotten it, regulation or not!

Remember that Janice Rand was not an officer, she was a Yeoman-I think even an Ensign would out rank her-and Kirk was captain of the Enterprise.  I'm pretty sure today's military organizations have regulations forbidding "fraternization" between officers and enlisted.  I'm thinking Starfleet had this same regulation.  But, as a lot of you have pointed out, if Kirk wanted some from Janice Rand, he'd have gotten it, regulation or not!

It's not encouraged (at least this is how it was while I was in the Army, I don't know about now) but it's not forbidden. I had a friend who was a sergeant (E-5 - 3 stripes) and he was married to a Lieutenant. They were in the same unit but when they got married the only thing that happened to them is he was reassigned to my unit.

I just remembered in the episode the naked time when the landing party brought back the virus from the planet there was a scene in the briefing room when Kirk found Spock. he asked Spock if he had been watching that beautiful Yeoman and said captains are not permitted but thin he stopped in mid sentence. I thought there might be a regulation on that.

Maybe Spock meant that Captains weren't permitted to chat about chicks while on duty. Or that he's not permitted to make unprofessional comments about crewmembers.