Capt_Picard

Minneapolis freeway bridge collapses into Mississippi River

Minneapolis freeway bridge collapses into Mississippi River

070801_bridge_collapse3.jpg

Story Published: Aug 1, 2007 at 4:47 PM PDT

Story Updated: Aug 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM PDT

By Associated Press

fisher_videoicon.gifWatch the story

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Then entire span of a four-lane interstate bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles, tons of concrete and twisted metal crashing into the water.

The Interstate 35W bridge, which spans between Minneapolis and St. Paul, was under construction when it broke into several huge sections. Dozens of vehicles were scattered and stacked on top of each other amid the rumble.

A burning semi-truck and a school bus clung to one slanted slab, while an unknown number of vehicles were submerged.

It is not known how many people were injured, but Star Tribune newspaper reports multiple trauma victim have been taken to the hospital, some in critical condition.

Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

Local television stations captured video of injured people being carried up the riverbank. There was no official word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were on scene. Divers were also in the water.

The cause of the bridge collapse is unknown.

070801_bridge_collapse11.jpg

070801_bridge_collapse2.jpg.jpg

070801_bridge_collapse4.jpg

Edited by Capt_Picard

Homeland Security is moderniting the situation. :)

Edited by Odie

Very scary! I have cousins in St. Paul, will be trying to check on them tomorrow.

This bridge was constructed about the same time (1967-68) the Interstate 80 Bridge was built near where I went to High School, over the Mississippi between Illinois and Iowa.

There will be lots of investigations over this, I'm certain.

While this is tragic to the city and it news worthy, but does it need to on cable news channels as long it has been as if there is nothing else happening around the world.

While this is tragic to the city and it news worthy, but does it need to on cable news channels as long it has been as if there is nothing else happening around the world.

Judging by what's normally on news, there probably isn't.

I wonder what caused the collapse, though. Big things like bridges normally don't just fall apart.

Judging by what's normally on news, there probably isn't.

I wonder what caused the collapse, though. Big things like bridges normally don't just fall apart.

This must more important than recall from Frisher-Price's toys. :)

It is 11 pm (PST) and it still cover it with no new information. When this happens it is time to move to a different news event until some new about bridge comes to light.

I am too very curious as why a bridge of its size and importance has collapse.

Wow!....One of my sisters lives in St. Paul,MN. My mother is visiting her now. I''m going to have to give them a call today.....