Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

New Home Owner Discovers Thousands Of Bees Living In Walls

New owner of home discovers thousands of bees living in the walls

AP

Posted: 2007-07-18 18:25:11

JEROME, Pa. (AP) - A constant hum fills the air as the residents of Matthew Danchanko's new home obstinately refuse to leave.

Shortly after Danchanko, 26, began renovating the four-bedroom house in Conemaugh Township, he discovered tens of thousands of honeybees in the walls.

Visitors can't miss the bees. They create a low hum and the sweet scent from an estimated 100 pounds of honey fills the air when the wind is blowing in the right direction.

"You can hear them, sometimes you can smell the honey. It's pretty wild," Danchanko told the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat.

Danchanko wants the insects to leave his home, but he refuses to exterminate, as he is aware that the honeybee population in Pennsylvania and 21 other states has significantly deteriorated in the past year.

Danchanko found a local beekeeper who pledged to collect the bees and find them new digs.

"I am not going to kill the honeybees," Danchanko said. "If I have to, I'll suit up myself and remove the bees."

Now we know where all the bees went to!

I saw something like that a while back when I was helping to the remodel an old department store. The walls had major water damage, to we had to knock them down one at a time to salvage any usable materials like pipes and such from them first. One wall, we tore a huge chunk of wall down, and the entire interior was all honeycombs and pissed-off bees.