Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Mom says she, toddler kicked off plane

From the AP news wire.

A woman said she and her toddler son were kicked off a plane after she refused a flight attendant's request to medicate her son to get him to quiet down and stop saying "Bye bye, plane."

Kate Penland, of suburban Atlanta, said she and her 19-month-old son, Garren, were flying from Atlanta to Oklahoma last month on a Continental Express flight that made a stop in Houston.

As the plane was taxiing in Houston en route to Oklahoma, "he started saying 'Bye, bye plane,' Penland told WSB-TV in Atlanta. The flight attendant objected, she said.

"At the end of her speech, she leaned over the gentleman beside me and said, 'It's not funny anymore. You need to shut your baby up,'" Penland told WSB-TV in Atlanta.

When Penland asked the woman if she was joking, she said the stewardess replied, "You know, it's called baby Benadryl."

"And I said, 'Well, I'm not going to drug my child so you have a pleasant flight,'" Penland told the TV station.

Penland said other passengers began speaking up on her behalf, and the flight attendant announced they were turning around and that Penland and Garren were going to be taken off the plane.

Penland and her son were let off the plane and did not complete the trip to Oklahoma, said Kristy Nicholas, spokeswoman for Express Jet Airlines, which flies as Continental Express on behalf of Continental Airlines.

Attempts by the Associated Press to reach Penland under a telephone listing that matched her last name were unsuccessful.

"I was crying, I was upset and I was thinking, 'What am I going to do? I don't have anything with me, I don't have any more diapers for the baby, no juice, no milk," Penland told WSB.

Nicholas said, "We received Ms. Penland's letter expressing her concerns and intend to investigate its contents."

Sounds like the flight attendant was at her wits end with screaming kids and took it out on some poor woman.

The baby was just saying "Bye, Bye plane." If she can't handle the toddle just saying bye, bye she needs to find a different job. She had no excuse to tell the mother to drug her child. She had no excuse to tell the mother to make her child to shut up. The flight attendant should get fired.

I would've insisted on speaking with the pilot and had him over-ride the stewardess.

I would've insisted on speaking with the pilot and had him over-ride the stewardess.

Eh, then she probably would have continued to be insanely rude to the woman and her child during the flight.

I haven't flown in years.

I don't miss it and don't plan on flying anytime soon.

If I can't get there by car, then I'm not going.

So I won't be exposed to stuff like this.

I have read the flight attendant told the pilot that the mother threaten her life. The other passengers back-up the mother on what had happen to her.

Eh, then she probably would have continued to be insanely rude to the woman and her child during the flight.

psst... lawsuit...

I think the flight attendant's behaviour was outrageous! She should indeed be fired!

Having seen the mother and son on TV this morning, he was rather squirmy and a bit cranky. The mother admitted on the following connecting flight after being taken off the plane, her son threw the mother of all tantrums. He does seem to be "active."

Working with kids, you have to have patience. Not everyone does. This flight attendant may have hit her own personal wall. Nonetheless, if she claimed a threat when there was none, she should be fired.

On the other hand, I would drive if I were this family, until the son gets a little older, or travel only with both parents. He does seem to need entertainment or attention a lot, as with a lot of toddlers.

Having seen the mother and son on TV this morning, he was rather squirmy and a bit cranky. The mother admitted on the following connecting flight after being taken off the plane, her son threw the mother of all tantrums. He does seem to be "active."

That does not mean he was squirmy and a bit cranky on the plane. I would hope one and half year old would be active. So what that she took a connecting flight. It should not have happen in the first place. It would appear the only person that was bothered by the toddler was the flight attendant.

Working with kids, you have to have patience. Not everyone does. This flight attendant may have hit her own personal wall. Nonetheless, if she claimed a threat when there was none, she should be fired.

No excuse what so ever if she hit her personal wall. She works and deals with the public. Toddlers are part of the public. Would you suggest adult take some drugs if they where a little load for her taste. She should get fired period.

On the other hand, I would drive if I were this family, until the son gets a little older, or travel only with both parents. He does seem to need entertainment or attention a lot, as with a lot of toddlers.

You would do it, but many single patients do not have an options. There travel options should not be limited to the age of the child either. Of course a one and half year old needs lots of attention and something to kept them entertain during the flight. That is normal for a one and half year.

That does not mean he was squirmy and a bit cranky on the plane. I would hope one and half year old would be active. So what that she took a connecting flight. It should not have happen in the first place. It would appear the only person that was bothered by the toddler was the flight attendant.

No excuse what so ever if she hit her personal wall. She works and deals with the public. Toddlers are part of the public. Would you suggest adult take some drugs if they where a little load for her taste. She should get fired period.

You would do it, but many single patients do not have an options. There travel options should not be limited to the age of the child either. Of course a one and half year old needs lots of attention and something to kept them entertain during the flight. That is normal for a one and half year.

There had been a delay. If I remember right the mother said she was out of certain supplies. I think there's a strong likelihood that this kid was bored and squirmy, if not cranky. When they were on TV, mom and 2 reporters were trying to distract the kid so mom could be interviewed. Finally one reporter took the toddler off camera. I have worked with kids for over two decades and he seemed an active toddler IMO.

As far as no complaints, it is possible that the child was bothering some close by, but that they were reluctant to complain when they had to co-exist with this parent for the rest of the flight.

I agree, Odie, that the flight attendant should probably be fired. What she about the child taking something to relax seems outrageous. She seems to have been on a power trip. She was however trying to make her safety announcement and was talked over by this toddler the whole time. I was simply trying to point out that she and the flight crew were probably stressed out over the delays too. Flight crews are human too and all humans make mistakes, which they do have to take responsibility for.

Admittedly not everyone has travel options. Again based on this brief TV appearance the child did seem rather active. Based on this incident, I personally would not want to put this child in that situation unless absolutely necessary. I am not picking on parents, just commenting based on what I know of the case and the interview I saw, and my experience with children in schools and libraries.

Edited by trekz

trekz, I have flown quite a bit since joining the Navy. Most people do not really pay attention to the safety announcement is done on flight inboard communication system unless it is a very small plane. From what I have noticed most people do not pay much attention to safety announcement.

In pre-9/11 days Southwest Airlines used to be known for joking with their passengers. One time I heard the pilot giving the safety anouncement say "For those of you traveling with small children... what were you thinking?" Another time a female stewardess was giving the talk said "Remember to put your mask on first, then your children's, and then maybe your husband's."

But the best one I heard was when the crew was explaining what to do in the event of an impending crash: "Bend down so that your head is between your knees, pucker your lips, and kiss your *buttocks* goodbye."