Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Microsoft Unveils Surface Tabletop Computer

Microsoft Unveils Surface Tabletop Computer

After a few years of taking a beating from Apple on design and innovation, Microsoft is stealing a little of Steve Jobs's thunder. Just a few weeks ahead of the iPhone, Bill Gates (or, actually, Steve Ballmer) has unveiled Surface, Microsoft's new table top computer that features a big-screen version of the multi-touch technology used on, say, the iPhone.

But the similarity pretty much ends there. Microsoft's new Surface is a full-fledged coffee-table sized PC that is completely touch-sensitive, so users sitting around it can move and open files, video conference, watch movies, play games, and flip through photos -- together! CNET spent some time with some Surface software that lets you browse a menu, order items, split the bill, calculate the tip and pay -- all from the tabletop display

Where the Surface gets really interesting is when you add peripherals to the party.

Promotional videos from Microsoft show people dropping their Zunes on the tabletop computer. Surface recognizes that a Zune has been placed there and connects to it wirelessly. Users then use their fingers to drag albums and photos to their Zune.

Dropping a wireless-enabled digital camera on the table causes Surface to download the photos, spilling them out across the display as if a shoe box full of pictures was just emptied.

The videos also show several people interacting with the table at the same time. No more leaning over a friend's shoulder to watch and direct a slide show: If he or she passes by that great picture of Billy shooting milk out of his nose too fast, just grab it with your hand and look at it with out having to physically assault your pal to take control of the mouse.

Prices are expected to be between $5,000 and $10,000 when the units start shipping around the end of the year to commercial customers. At first, Surface will not be geared towards consumers, though Microsoft hopes that within three years the technology will be affordable enough for the home. T-Mobile, Harrah's Entertainment, and Starwood Hotels have partnered with Microsoft to use Surface as kiosks in retail outlets and lobbies.

With Surface, Microsoft seems to have made computing truly communal, taking the Web 2.0 ethos of social interaction through computers and moving it into the physical world.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.switched...rfacescaled.jpg

How cool is this? I want one!.. :laugh:

Remember when bars had video games in a similar style?

I do.

They don't have those anymore?.. :laugh:

I do.

I haven't been in a bar in years, so I honestly don't know.

LOL, I remember somebody who actually had one of those video games in their house. We did not, but they did.

Anyways where the computer version is concerned, that is pretty cool. Does it come with coasters? For when guests put their drinks all over your "table". LOL.

LOL, I remember somebody who actually had one of those video games in their house. We did not, but they did.

Anyways where the computer version is concerned, that is pretty cool. Does it come with coasters? For when guests put their drinks all over your "table". LOL.

If I had one of those, I wouldn't let a beverage of any kind within 50 feet of it. :laugh::look:

I do.

Of course they still have bars. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Actually you can still find those table-top video games, mostly well-known '80s games that still work (or are maintained in a niche-market), but probably not in bars. They have a clear plastic shield over the whole game so even if you spill something it is no different than spilling on a table or counter.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

I do.

Of course they still have bars. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Actually you can still find those table-top video games, mostly well-known '80s games that still work (or are maintained in a niche-market), but probably not in bars. They have a clear plastic shield over the whole game so even if you spill something it is no different than spilling on a table or counter.

Actually, I know tha tthey still have bars. I drive by them all of the time.

And I watched a video that showcased the table top computer. It's really impressive.

But I still wouldn't want anyone to spill anything on it.

I predict the tabletop is going to the next large evolutionary step in computers, like the laptop was. Give it a few years for it to be come for main stream.

I want one. Screw the iphone.

I predict the tabletop is going to the next large evolutionary step in computers, like the laptop was. Give it a few years for it to be come for main stream.

I want one. Screw the iphone.

I think the table top will be easier to emulate than the i-phone.

There are nice, but I do not have room in my apartment.