Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Sing Along With Hillary

Sing Along With Hillary

Posted May 17th 2007 12:12PM by Ben Greenman

Filed under: Elections, Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton's Website wants you to vote on a campaign theme song for the former First Lady. Her husband, memorably, used Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop." Hillary's options, almost certainly selected by an intern, include U2's "City of Blinding Lights" and "Beautiful Day," the Temptations' "Get Ready," and the Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There." Because this is probably the archetypal lazy-humorist assignment, we have come up with some other options, and we invite you to do the same.

-- Kate Bush, "Running Up That Hill." Combines her name and the act of running and alludes to Capitol Hill. Also vaguely annoying, like the candidate.

-- Eric B. and Rakim, "Follow the Leader." A better song than anything on her list. Plus, when she has a running mate, she can rap and the running mate can work the turntables in an embarrassing, MC Rove-like display.

-- Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run." Ronald Reagan chose "Born in the U.S.A." in 1984, upsetting Springsteen. Would he be happier with this?

-- Arcadia, "Election Day." Remember when some of Duran Duran left to form Power Station and some others stayed behind to form Arcadia? Well, okay, maybe you don't remember, but it happened, and they even have this hit to prove it. The lyrics are a little, uh, impressionistic, if by "impressionistic" I mean "nonsensical": "Wild kind of look to the day / Opening eyes impale neon flickers." On the other hand, there's a spoken-word interlude by Grace Jones, and Hillary might be able to get Arcadia to play the song live at a bunch of events.

-- Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five "Ain't That Just Like a Woman (They'll Do It Every Time)." Hillary Clinton was born in 1947, the same year that Jerry Wexler, then a Billboard writer, coined the term "rhythm and blues." That year, the R&B charts were dominated by Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five, and while this song is from the previous year, the sentiment pertains. The campaign might have to update the lyrics slightly so that they don't come off as sexist -- maybe the same intern that made her list is available.

-- R.E.M., "World Leader Pretend." Too much of a downer? Also, the lyrics -- "I demand a rematch / I decree a stalemate / I divine my deeper motives / I recognize the weapons" -- might be better for Al Gore.

I didn't like any of those songs so I emailed in my personal choice which was:

"Fat-Bottomed Girls" by Queen.......... :hug:

Any other suggestions?

If she gets elected, we'll all be singing R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World As We Know It."

I kid. I kid.

Um...Elvis' "Hard-Headed Woman"?

*ducks*

I'M JOKING!!

Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me"

C&C Music Factory's "The Power"

How about "I Want You To Want Me"

A Flock Of Seagulls' "And I Ran"