Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

Very strange in FC

Datas and the crews primary objective when they learned about the Borg being on Enterprise was to puncture one of the coolent tanks in engineering, which would destroy anything organic (destroy the Borg).

When Data was captured he managed to get loose once and was very near to the tanks and could easily have punctured one of them.. So why didn't he? This mistake can easily be explained if he was human, but he is not..

Could it be that he was to intrigued by the Borg Queen?

Maybe someone have a theory or an explanation?

I think omni'x is right.The Borg activated Data's emotion chip(against Data's will),in order for the Borg Queen to try and seduce him.I think she was at least partially successful.Luckily for Earth,Data's sense of duty won out in the end. :)

I seem to recall that the coolent tanks were behind where Data was and there were quite a few Borg between him and the tanks. I would think that he would want to make sure that he would make it because if he attempted to break a tank and failed to reach it he would give away the plan.

And of course in practical terms, if he had tried it and was successful that would end the movie half way through. :)

I think omni'x is right.The Borg activated Data's emotion chip(against Data's will),in order for the Borg Queen to try and seduce him.I think she was at least partially successful.Luckily for Earth,Data's sense of duty won out in the end. :)

Hmm.. I don't quite understand, why would he be unable to puncture one of the coolent tanks just because his emotion chip was activated? The chip does not make him forget his objective... or?

In response to Takara, you might be correct, I might just remember it wrong but I think he is close to one of the tanks when he breaks free..

And of course in practical terms, if he had tried it and was successful that would end the movie half way through.  ;)

That's Not The Point ;)

Data Doesn't Know He's In A Movie :lol:

Hmm.. I don't quite understand, why would he be unable to puncture one of the coolent tanks just because his emotion chip was activated? The chip does not make him forget his objective... or?

yeah but if you're overwhelmed with emotion, you tend to forget other objectives

yeah but if you're overwhelmed with emotion, you tend to forget other objectives

If he was human I could understand that, but he is an android and the emotion chip doesn't change that..

If he was human I could understand that, but he is an android and the emotion chip doesn't change that..

Well,yeah,it does actually.....since with the chip activated,he's just as emotional and prone to doing stupid things as we humans are. :borgqueen:

but you are forgetting his ethical program. That would not allow him to forget (something else he cannot do) his objective.

perhaps Data was waiting to try and gather info from them. I do know he very frightened. Or perhaps there was something else in the way that we were not aware of. It may have been that he was waiting to insure that the warp flight took place before taking any action as if things went bad, that may have caused the flight to be ended and change history anyway which was the whole reason they went back in time in the first place. you note that it was right after it was done was when he made his move.

but you are forgetting his ethical program. That would not allow him to forget (something else he cannot do) his objective.

perhaps Data was waiting to try and gather info from them. I do know he very frightened. Or perhaps there was something else in the way that we were not aware of. It may have been that he was waiting to insure that the warp flight took place before taking any action as if things went bad, that may have caused the flight to be ended and change history anyway which was the whole reason they went back in time in the first place. you note that it was right after it was done was when he made his move.

Now that is an explanation I might accept. :spock:

:laugh:

Or maybe he just didn't want to total the ship off. Think about it. Everytime there's a problem are you going to wreck a critical section of the ship to solve it? Probably not. I'm sure he needs a command from a higher-up (ie. Picard) to carry out such actions.

My only question is how the heck did they get the ship fixed and back into the future after they wrecked the engineering section?

Or maybe he just didn't want to total the ship off.  Think about it.  Everytime there's a problem are you going to wreck a critical section of the ship to solve it?  Probably not.  I'm sure he needs a command from a higher-up (ie. Picard) to carry out such actions.

My only question is how the heck did they get the ship fixed and back into the future after they wrecked the engineering section?

One coolent tank is hardly a critical part of the ship, they can runt without it. And the substance doesn't damage anything not organic so nothing else in engineering would be damaged either..

And the order had already been given by Picard..

And the substance doesn't damage anything not organic so nothing else in engineering would be damaged either..

:dude: Oh, right, I forgot about that. Nice how they can make this stuff up as they go along just in case they need to smash a coolant tank. Try running your computer in low temperatures (ie. at least under 5 degrees, maybe closer to 0). Watch the hard drive freeze up as nothing loads (possibly). Of course, the Ent. is much more advanced than a normal computer, but I think we can assume that coolant is also pretty cold. Thinking temperature has no effect on mechanical/electronic parts is absolutely ridiculous.

Well, keep in mind that the coolant is toxic to organic mater, liquifing organic mater upon physical contact. Only one of the coolant tanks were ruptured while the other remained intact. Durring TNG and the earl days of VOY, they allways evacuated engineering when there was a coolent leak and we never knew why. After seeing ST:FC, we know why. :laugh: As for damaging systems? I would think that the consoles and so forth would be designed to withstand a coolent leak since this is a problem that happens in engineering more often than any other location in the ship.

And the substance doesn't damage anything not organic so nothing else in engineering would be damaged either..

:laugh: Oh, right, I forgot about that. Nice how they can make this stuff up as they go along just in case they need to smash a coolant tank. Try running your computer in low temperatures (ie. at least under 5 degrees, maybe closer to 0). Watch the hard drive freeze up as nothing loads (possibly). Of course, the Ent. is much more advanced than a normal computer, but I think we can assume that coolant is also pretty cold. Thinking temperature has no effect on mechanical/electronic parts is absolutely ridiculous.

There is no evidence that the coolent is cold. A coolent doesn't have to be freezing to cool something. It only has to be cooler than the substance that has been heated. There was no evidence that anyone caught in the coolent froze (certainly Data didn't).

And by the way, the Borg invading your ship is a rather serious problem, don't you agree?  :lol:

:laugh:

Totally agree. It is a serious problem. :laugh:

:lol:

There is no evidence that the coolent is cold. A coolent doesn't have to be freezing to cool something. It only has to be cooler than the substance that has been heated.

That's a good point; however, there is some evidence that it was cold, namely the fact that the vapour stayed very near the ground while the air above it remained unaffected. It looked rather like liquid nitrogen, which emits a vapour similar in appearance. Of course, the coolant also likely could also sink down due to chemical properties making it heavier than air.

There was no evidence that anyone caught in the coolent froze (certainly Data didn't).

There was no evidence of much of anything afterwards, which means that there was no evidence that they didn't freeze before some corrosive process occurred destroying all living matter (of the Borg).

And by the way, the Borg invading your ship is a rather serious problem, don't you agree?

Apparently not, since they can just splash a dab o' coolant on them whenever it's handy, why worry about it? They should keep a coolant chamber in every room, you know, just in case...

Riker: Deanna, the Borg are coming! Put something on!

Troi: Oh don't get so excited; now that we've got the new Borg-Buster X15 Coolant Leaker installed, we can just go into the toilet/air-lock while we flush them out. Oh, I made a funny.

Riker: Right, honey. Installing a BBX15CL was a great idea. All we have to do is detonate the explosive to shatter the glass using the remote next to the, heh heh, captain's chair.

Troi: Feeling a bit ambitious today, Commander?

Riker: Old chrome-dome said he was getting his put in next week. Anyway, it came with a pair-set of BBX15CSs, too, for just a few credits more!

Troi: CSs?

Riker: Ah, the handy portable version that you can spray in the face of a Borg in case they get some attitude.

Troi: You've been holding out on me.

Riker: I wanted to wait until Valentine's Day to surprise you, but I guess we'll have to break them in early.

Troi: Sounds good to me. Oh, I sense something. They're almost here!

Riker: Into the can!

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

There is no evidence that the coolent is cold. A coolent doesn't have to be freezing to cool something. It only has to be cooler than the substance that has been heated.

That's a good point; however, there is some evidence that it was cold, namely the fact that the vapour stayed very near the ground while the air above it remained unaffected. It looked rather like liquid nitrogen, which emits a vapour similar in appearance. Of course, the coolant also likely could also sink down due to chemical properties making it heavier than air.

There was no evidence that anyone caught in the coolent froze (certainly Data didn't).

There was no evidence of much of anything afterwards, which means that there was no evidence that they didn't freeze before some corrosive process occurred destroying all living matter (of the Borg).

And by the way, the Borg invading your ship is a rather serious problem, don't you agree?

Apparently not, since they can just splash a dab o' coolant on them whenever it's handy, why worry about it? They should keep a coolant chamber in every room, you know, just in case...

Riker: Deanna, the Borg are coming! Put something on!

Troi: Oh don't get so excited; now that we've got the new Borg-Buster X15 Coolant Leaker installed, we can just go into the toilet/air-lock while we flush them out. Oh, I made a funny.

Riker: Right, honey. Installing a BBX15CL was a great idea. All we have to do is detonate the explosive to shatter the glass using the remote next to the, heh heh, captain's chair.

Troi: Feeling a bit ambitious today, Commander?

Riker: Old chrome-dome said he was getting his put in next week. Anyway, it came with a pair-set of BBX15CSs, too, for just a few credits more!

Troi: CSs?

Riker: Ah, the handy portable version that you can spray in the face of a Borg in case they get some attitude.

Troi: You've been holding out on me.

Riker: I wanted to wait until Valentine's Day to surprise you, but I guess we'll have to break them in early.

Troi: Sounds good to me. Oh, I sense something. They're almost here!

Riker: Into the can!

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :lol: :hug: