Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Total Lunar Eclipse This Saturday, March 3rd

March 3 Total Lunar Eclipse

By JOE RAO, SPACE.COM

Space News, Photos and Videos

(Feb. 23) - Almost 2-1/2 years have passed since the Moon plunged completely into the Earth's shadow. But if you live in Europe, Africa, or the eastern half of North America, but sure to put a big circle on your calendar for Saturday, March 3.

Unlike an eclipse of the Sun which often requires a long journey to the path of totality, those of the Moon can be observed from one's own backyard. The passage of the Moon through the Earth's shadow is equally visible from all places within the hemisphere where the Moon is above the local horizon. Moreover, coming as it does early on a Saturday evening, this eclipse should arouse wide interest among tens of millions of people in the eastern parts of the United States and Canada who can see it during normal waking hours.

Astronomy clubs might take this opportunity to alert schools and the mainstream media about their eclipse activities and amateur astronomy in general. Why not consider throwing a neighborhood eclipse party?

The timing

The beginning and ending of a lunar eclipse happens simultaneously for every viewer, unlike an eclipse of the Sun. Hence the simple schedule below holds for all places from where the event is visible (in the Western United States, the Moon won't rise until the event is largely over):

Time Zone:

GMT

AST

EST

CST

MST

Moon enters penumbra

20:18

----

----

----

----

Moon enters umbra

21:30

----

----

----

----

Totality begins

22:44

6:44 p.m.

5:44 p.m.

----

----

Mid-totality

23:21

7:21 p.m.

6:21 p.m.

----

----

Totality ends

23:58

7:58 p.m.

6:58 p.m.

5:58 p.m.

----

Moon leaves umbra

01:11*

9:11 p.m.

8:11 p.m.

7:11 p.m.

6:11 p.m.

Moon leaves penumbra

02:24*

10:24 p.m.

9:24 p.m.

8:24 p.m.

7:24 p.m.

* Denotes calendar date is March 4

Europe and Africa are in the best position; the eclipse will happen during the late-night hours of March 3-4, with the Moon high in the sky. From Newfoundland and Labrador will see the Moon rise prior to its entrance into the umbra (6:00PM Newfoundland Time). For the rest of North America, the eclipse will already in progress when the Moon rises.

Unfortunately, for those living in the western United States and Canada, the eclipse will have pretty much ended by the time the Moon rises. As a consolation, however, the next total eclipse later this year (on Aug. 27) will favor these locations.

For many of us a total eclipse of the Moon can be enjoyed purely as a spectacle, a means of appreciating nature in an unfamiliar guise. But many kinds of careful observations can have scientific interest. Even with the unaided eye a lunar eclipse is pleasing to watch, but binoculars will certainly improve the view. For visual observations, a small telescope is recommended. You should use your lowest-power eyepiece.

This sounds cool but DOES NOT excuse any of you from participating in this week's chat.... :yahoo:

Oh...and Vulcan_Lover?....Please try to be sober when you climb onto your roof this weekend to avoid another trip to the hospital......... :wow:

My university is providing telescopes this Saturday for the public to use in some random park. I am sooo excited about this. I've been looking forward to this day since January when I first learned about it.

And don't worry Kor, this means that I'll be on the ground, not climbing ontop of my house, and I want to remember it, so I won't drink till afterwards. But I might miss the chat, Oh darn....