Sign in to follow this  
Odo

David Beckman

British soccer star David Beckman

Signs with a American soccer team

The Deal is worth a reported 250 million over 5 years

He left the team he signed with in Spain 2 years ago.

says he wants to make soccer which is the fastest

growing sport in America on par with the rest of the world

He joins the team in Los Angeles in auguest.

At 31 years old not old but on the back side of a carrer

in soccor was it really to promote it or the cash.

Either way as a youth soccer coach

with one of the most famous players of or time

it greatly helps the soccer movement in the US.

Welcome.

I'm a soccer fan as well but I don't think it will ever take off in the USA. Years ago, the same thing happened when Pele came over here and joined the New York Cosmos. That league folded within a few years.

well that will keep his wife in size 0 dresses (That is stat off 31, 22, 31.5) and scarily those are the measurements of most 8 year olds. I can see where the descision came from. Beckham hasn't the brains to make it, this is wifey's decisionn. Oh and the next thing we will hear is the pair of them become scientologists, they are friends with a bunch of them including Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. Says it all really.

This has been on the cards for a long time, mostly cause they have been doing the red carpet scene over there for 4 years!

The sports channels I've listened to and heard basically say the same thing "David Beckham comes to the US, who cares?" As a few of you know, I used to referee so I do pay attention to soccer news. To me, this will draw a few more tickets and ensure that the LA Galaxy are on ESPN when they play. That's it. US Men's soccer has never been a powerhouse and I don't think it ever will be. However, youth soccer is absolutely thriving. In short, while adults may not care about soccer, the children do. That's what I think is important.

I have mixed feelings about whether or not David Beckham coming to the U.S. will be succesful or not. On the one hand it could work and make soccer really take off or as Kor37 points it may not have any impact on the interest level of soccer in the U.S. In fact, not only did Pele play in the old NASL but Romario also signed with San Jose (I think) and that did not seem to have made an impact on fan interest when it comes to the MLS.

It will be interesting to watch that is for sure. I am leaning more to the 'not having an impact' at this point though.

If you honestly look at all the leagues prior to the MLS, both indoor and outdoor, you'd be surprised how many leagues there have been. I mean, my city of Harrisburg has an indoor league, and the close city of Hershey had an outdoor A-League team for a few years before folding.

Indoor soccer seems to draw more interest than outdoor soccer. Mr. Psychic can attest to that as he watches the Baltimore Blast routinely beat up the Harrisburg team...... :yucky:

Indoor soccer seems to draw more interest than outdoor soccer. Mr. Psychic can attest to that as he watches the Baltimore Blast routinely beat up the Harrisburg team...... :yucky:

I didn't even think the Harrisburg Heat were still playing, they get no coverage at all here. Even the local newspapers put their scores on the second to last page in the sports section.