Sign in to follow this  

Thursday, April third

Thursday, I go in to have surgery on my shoulder. I have a bone spur the size of my thumb in it, and over the years, it has caused rotator cuff damage. I'm going to have the spur removed, and the rotator cuff repaired. I've never had surgery before, and people tell me that shoulder surgery is VERY painful. I dont know if they're just trying to scare me or what. I just know that my surgery is at 12:30 PM, and that I wont be able to eat anything after midnight tonight, and I wont be able to drink anything after 8:30 tomorrow morning, or have my morning cigarette. I'm not one of those people who doesnt eat breakfast, and I usually drink about 2 gallons of water a day. And, I smoke. I'm going to be very grouchy by the time I get there tomorrow. I'll be hungry, thirsty, and jonesing for a cigarette I wont lie, and say I'm not worried about it because I am. Does anyone have any pointers?

Also, you might see some typos in my posts over the next few weeks. lol. I'm right handed, and my right arm will be up in a sling.

I've had shoulder surgery. Are you having it done arthroscopically? That is less invasive, but I'm sure you know that.

The first couple of days are the worst, don't be brave and try to go without the pain pills. You will need them. You are at a distinct advantage over me, they have greatly improved the anesthetics they use during surgery since I had mine about 12 years ago, so you won't have as many side effects from that. I had a great deal of nausea just from the anesthetics used during surgery. I don't think shoulder surgery is any more painful than any other type of surgery. I've had several, and they're all about the same, pain-wise. The recovery time might be a little longer, you have to slowly get your mobility back, which meant physical therapy for me.

Yeah, going in at 12:30 for surgery is definitely difficult. I had mine at 8:30 AM, so the missing breakfast thing wasn't that difficult. And I don't smoke, so that wasn't an issue, but the not drinking thing is hard. I would suggest as soon as you get there, and they hook you up to the IV, tell them you are nervous and ask for DRUGS!!! After that, you won't care. Ok, I don't usually encourage drug use, but this situation can be VERY nerve-racking and that can raise blood-pressure etc. etc. Just this once, a little drug-use can be a good thing.

Also, be sure there is someone with you to take care of you. For the first couple of days, don't try to do anything on your own. You could get dizzy and fall and cause even more problems. Just take it easy, don't overdo, and it won't be long until you feel LOTS better. I have had no further problems with my shoulder since the surgery, and at times I was in a great deal of pain. I am definitely glad I had it done.

Hope everything goes well for you, I will be thinking about you and wishing you a speedy recovery!!!