Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Berman: It Took Coto To Bring Original Series Thrill to 'Enterpris

I was fortunate enough to watch the ENT episode "Divergence" in Los Angeles with Manny Coto. You could see the glimmer of love in his eyes while he spoke of the events going on while the episode was being made. Yes, he wasn't 'just' a producer and writer... he's one of us. He's a true fan too.

I was fortunate enough to watch the ENT episode "Divergence" in Los Angeles with Manny Coto. You could see the glimmer of love in his eyes while he spoke of the events going on while the episode was being made. Yes, he wasn't 'just' a producer and writer... he's one of us. He's a true fan too.

I wish that they had given ENT a fifth season. I think it could have been the series' very best season. I could see that Manny was making a difference. Then, UPN and Paramount took his legs out from underneath him.

It wasn't fair. To anyone. :roflmao:

When you do post, you certainly do it with a vengance, eh? :laugh:

Pretty obvious that you're not a fan of Enterprise.

I am not a fan of "Star Trek Enterprise" that's quite correct, but my posts are simply to the point.

I am not a fan of "Star Trek Enterprise" that's quite correct, but my posts are simply to the point.

That, I cannot dispute.

Personally, and its just my opinion, so give it as much value as you dare... but it was Berman and Braga that sunk ENT to the depths of despair. Given enough time, Coto was bringing it up again. He just didn't get the time to pull hard enough.

However, I do respect your feelings about ENT. Its not everyone's fav.

I take each series independent - on its own... not dependent on other series... or what canon has taught.

Berman and Braga harmed "Star Trek Enterprise" no doubt. Personally I didn't see any evidence of Coto bringing it back up again. He merely resorted to increasing levels of fanboyishness, particularly with the Vulcan Reformation storyline (which continued the poor portrayal of the Vulcans on the show during Berman and Braga's time in charge) and the worst storyline in the series, the ludicrous "Klingon Ridges meets Arik Soong meets The Augments meets Khan meets the Creation of Data" arc which seemed to be the product of Coto trying to link as many elements of Star Trek together in a clumsy storyline. Even taking the show as a stand-alone series, it was severely lacking in terms of story and character quality. A shame, because the concept was promising, but it was wasted.

Given enough time, Coto was bringing it up again. He just didn't get the time to pull hard enough.

I agree completely. The last season of Enterprise was a pure delight. Coto should have been given the reins in Season 2.

They were never going to do that, they had become a propoganda machine for the war in Iraq and anti-terrism. That was how I interpretted the xindi arc, which was a total turn off. I mean I am watching sci-fi for the escapism from the horrors of the world, not to get an artificial war. Talk about an overdose.

A better war analogy would have been for a group of Romulan fanatics (Al-Qaeda) to attack Earth (the United States) with a powerful weapon (a few Boeings) in the hopes of bringing Starfleet (U.S. Armed Forces) into a war with the Romulan Star Empire (various Muslim nations) with the hope of unifying the Romulans (Muslims) against Starfleet (the United States).

Edited by Lady Britannia

And many compared some TOS Episodes with the Vietnam War. So what? ENT did it with 9/11. Like the Xindi Attack of Earth. Sometimes, the writers do things like this. If it bothers you, then watch something else.

I think Coto's hands were tied a bit even after he took over the fourth season, because of what was done in the previous three. He had to try to work around relationships that were are already established.

For example he did a good job in moving the relationship with the Vulcans back toward what it would eventually be in TOS ( which still could not have been perfect). First Sovall admitted to Archer that he was wrong in opposing his appointment as captain of Enterprise. Then came the arc with the Vulcan's finding the kishara and re-examining the whole course of their society. I thought it was a thoughtful approach, and more realistic then acting as if humans and aliens 'hit it off' from the beginning, or assuming that there is no change in or evolution of local culture over periods of hundreds of years.

I think Coto did a good job.

Also social commentary,even about war, is found throughout the various ST series.

The off-topic segments have been made invisible. Please try to stay on the topic.

I think Coto's hands were tied a bit even after he took over the fourth season, because of what was done in the previous three. He had to try to work around relationships that were are already established.

For example he did a good job in moving the relationship with the Vulcans back toward what it would eventually be in TOS ( which still could not have been perfect). First Sovall admitted to Archer that he was wrong in opposing his appointment as captain of Enterprise. Then came the arc with the Vulcan's finding the kishara and re-examining the whole course of their society. I thought it was a thoughtful approach, and more realistic then acting as if humans and aliens 'hit it off' from the beginning, or assuming that there is no change in or evolution of local culture over periods of hundreds of years.

I think Coto did a good job.

Also social commentary,even about war, is found throughout the various ST series.

The off-topic segments have been made invisible. Please try to stay on the topic.

Agreed and thank you.

I was, as a fan of TOS from those early syndication days, pleased that elements of the series were being written into STE. There are those who pan the prequel show,but I am not one of them. I loved seeing how everything got started, including earth's first contacts with the races we know so well from thereafter. Including two of my faves, the Tholians and the Gorn. THANKS, MANNY!!!