Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

How Old Is The Enterprise? (tos)

Not sure if this was stated in an episode or movie, but I was under the impression that the Enterprise was launched in 2245.

2265-69 - Kirk's five year mission - TOS

2271 - The Motion Picture

2285 - The Wrath of Kahn / The Search for Spock

At the start of ST-3, the Admiral tells Admiral Kirk, "Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years old." Now, if we go with 2245-85, then the Enterprise is 40 years old. If we go with 2265-85, the Enterprise is 20 years old. You would think the movie line about the Enterprise being 20 years old would be canon, meaning the Enterprise was new when Kirk took command, but "The Cage" and "The Menagerie" clearly show that Christopher Pike commanded the Enterprise before Kirk, thus making the line in ST-3 contradictory.

What do you think? Is the Enterprise 40 or 20 years old? Do you consider the line in ST-3 about the Enterprise being 20 years old to be the "official" age of the ship?

Jean-Luc, the Enterprise 1701 was commisioned in 2245 and destroyed in 2285 giving it a lifespan of 40 years. The Enterpise-A was built in 2286; one year after the original Enterprise was destroyed. When McCoy states that the Enterprise is 20 years old in Star Trek III he is refering to the Enterprise 1701-A. However, the statement still would not make sense; twenty years did not go by between ST:TMP and ST:TSFS. Also, some say that the Enterprise-A is a refitted Enterprise, but I'm certain that the original Enterprise was destroyed before A's construction. I think we just have to keep in mind that dates given in Star Trek rarely add up properly. Never put too much faith in them.