Sign in to follow this  
cyphrx

Groom Lake

:lol:

I just bought Groom Lake, the Full moon film directed by William Shatner, and I have to say...as much as I like William Shatner the actor, author and some times director...I really didn't like the movie. Maybe because it was done by Full Moon so the film had an extreme low budget production value (althought I did enjoy a number of films that FM has done in the past "Puppet Master," "Dollman vs Demonic Toys", "Oblivion", etc..) But Groom Lake was really a bad movie. In some ways I see it as the "Plan Nine from Outer Space" of the 21st century (I liked Plan Nine better .) Of course I don't mean to knock William Shatner as a director. I'm sure with the right production value he can make a supremely cool film. But like in Star Trek V, other factors seem to get in the way for him to produce a great piece of work. That's my opinion what does everyone else think?

btw: I also bought a copy of "Free Enterprise" and thought it was excellent.

I love Shatner but I have yet to be impressed with his directing skills. I haven't seen Groom Lake but I think Star Trek V was the weakest Trek film to date. I think Shatner has a lot of "interesting" ideas but I'm not sure how many of them should be made into movies.

I loved Free Enterprise however!

I just bought Groom Lake, the Full moon film directed by William Shatner, and I have to say...as much as I like William Shatner the actor, author and some times director...I really didn't like the movie.  Maybe because it was done by Full Moon so the film had an extreme low budget production value (althought I did enjoy a number of films that FM has done in the past "Puppet Master," "Dollman vs Demonic Toys", "Oblivion", etc..)  But Groom Lake was really a bad movie.  In some ways I see it as the "Plan Nine from Outer Space"  of the 21st century (I liked Plan Nine better .)  Of course I don't mean to knock William Shatner as a director. I'm sure with the right production value he can make a supremely cool film.  But like in Star Trek V, other factors seem to get in the way for him to produce a great piece of work.  That's my opinion what does everyone else think?

Aw,man,don't go knockin Full Moon!That's my favorite film company,brother!

I think Groom Lake's problems were just Shatner.Every film he directs seems to be a dud... :borg2:

And the man can't sing...I'm sorry Germany,yall just have a bizarre musical taste....

Shatner's crooning makes my fillin's hurt...i'd get a toothache whenever his priceline.com commercials used to come on ;)

I just bought Groom Lake, the Full moon film directed by William Shatner, and I have to say...as much as I like William Shatner the actor, author and some times director...I really didn't like the movie.  Maybe because it was done by Full Moon so the film had an extreme low budget production value (althought I did enjoy a number of films that FM has done in the past "Puppet Master," "Dollman vs Demonic Toys", "Oblivion", etc..)  But Groom Lake was really a bad movie.  In some ways I see it as the "Plan Nine from Outer Space"  of the 21st century (I liked Plan Nine better .)  Of course I don't mean to knock William Shatner as a director.   I'm sure with the right production value he can make a supremely cool film.  But like in Star Trek V, other factors seem to get in the way for him to produce a great piece of work.  That's my opinion what does everyone else think?

Aw,man,don't go knockin Full Moon!That's my favorite film company,brother!

I think Groom Lake's problems were just Shatner.Every film he directs seems to be a dud... :borg2:

And the man can't sing...I'm sorry Germany,yall just have a bizarre musical taste....

Shatner's crooning makes my fillin's hurt...i'd get a toothache whenever his priceline.com commercials used to come on ;)

On the contrary, I enjoy a lot of Full Moon films, I'm also a big fan of Troma films and a number of low budget horror and sci fi films that don't make it to the big screen (in a number of cases I enjoy low budget more than big studio budget films.) I think Shatner was trying to make a Contact meets Close Encounters film with too small of a budget. I think with a budget like full moon pictures you need to be more creative behind the camera and not rely too much on the special effects. Perhaps if Groom Lake didn't involve a military installation, it could have pulled something off from it's low production value (the place was littered with apple computers...you could say that they doubled for the editing equipment and set design.) Films like Doll Man vs Demonic Toys, Puppet Master, Oblivion, Rag Doll, Trancers, Bad Channels, Def by Temptation, Toxic Avenger, Slashers, Dog Soldiers and so on make the most with their low budget but do it in such a way where their movies look extremely good. I think the best example of this is of course the original Evil Dead. It was made with a bunch of inexperienced actors, and on a very shoe string budget. But the film managed to be the pull off some great scraes and became a cult classic. So I wasn't really knockin on Full Moon (although they really shouldn've took a better look at the script before they helped produce it), but Shatner's execution while using a Full Moon budget. I think Full Moon rocks! I use to love watching the Full Moon video zone when I was a teen. Damn I've been rambling haven't I?

Edited by cyphrx