Sign in to follow this  
roguedawg

The Orion Slave Trade

Does anybody beside me think it was sort of odd that Christopher Pike seemed to think that dealing in the Orion green-skinned Animal Woman slave trade was an acceptable alternative to being a starship commander?He lists being an Orion trader a one of his options if he decided to resign his commission during a discussion with "Bones" Boyce in the Cage.I always thought that was sort of bizarre.But maybe he would have dealt in other trade goods?Thoughts,anyone? :unsure:

Yes that does seem a little bizarre but I would have to see the episode again to really know what your are talking about. It's been awhile since I've seen that one.

I agree with you. I've always felt that was totally out of character for a starship captain. When I think of an Orion Trader I think of someone who is very crooked and would sell his own sister if it would bring a buck! Certainly not what a starship captain should be. And Captain Pike seemed to me to be more upstanding than even Kirk ended up being..If I remember right, As soon as Pike made that statement he said that it is only 1 thing that he might do..I agree that there are many, many better things for an Ex-Starship Captain to do besides being a crooked Orion Slave girl trader..

I think the point he was trying to get across to the doctor was that a star ship captain was not the only job available.

Yeah,I suppose so.Still seems an odd choice. :bow: Not that I would necessarily object to an occupation that put me into contact with Orion Animal Women on a regular basis :devil: Of course,I wouldn't trade them as slaves..... :)

I think the point he was trying to get across to the doctor was that a star ship captain was not the only job available.

Yeah that's right.

Pike was emphasizing the point to the Doc he wanted maybe, to be doing something different

Doc: You, dealing in slave animal women?

Pike: I said that's one thing I could do.

He was imo making a point that anything would be better than being a ships captain and ordering people to their deaths. That was what he was depressed about in the first place, crew persons dying under his command.

"I'm tired of deciding who goes on the landing party, of deciding who lives ... and who dies."

:dude:

An Orion trader is an entirely different breed of animal from an Orion Pirate....

Pike said he could be an Orion Trader....

it was "Bones" Boyce who asked whether or not he would be dealing in green-skinned animal women....

Pike would have never done that....

:clap: