Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Pluto Loses Planet Status

A meeting in prague today has stripped Pluto's planet status stating pluto's failure to dominate its orbit like the other eight planetary bodies as its reason for 'demoting' Pluto which is now considered a "Dwarf Planet"

The International Astronomical Union's (IAU) decision means textbooks will now have to describe a Solar System with just eight major planetary bodies.

For further information please go to BBC News

or

NASA's Article

Or

CNN's Coverage

I am tried right now, and reading the info is starting to give me a headache. :laugh:

Right now, I am still not sure if Pluto is or is not a planet. Its orbit is not like the other planets in this galaxy. Pluto does cross obits with Neptune. Does that make Pluto a planet? Yet again, I am not sure.

What I am certain there is a dog named Pluto that must be very disappointed about this situation.

pluto_portrait.jpg

I'm very happy with the decision. :laugh: Pluto still gets to be a planet, but it makes sense to have it in a different category of planets, since it's orbit is so far off from the other planets. I was hoping they'd have categories like "Oort cloud planets" and "Kuiper belt panets", but "dwarf planets" is much better! :elephant:

Atlast, I hated the thought of a planet smaller than the moon with a strange orbit.

Atlast, I hated the thought of a planet smaller than the moon with a strange orbit.

I hated the thought of a planet smaller than the Moon with a strange orbit anyway.

C'mon ARMS, tell us how you really feel.

Seriously though, this new class of "dwarf planets" kind of worries me as to what it'll include. Every stinking asteroid? Every known meteor shower? The sun-skimmers? The Trojans and Greeks? Halley's comet? (ok Halley's comet is highly unlikely, but the way they've got this not hammered down, I'm not counting anything out yet)

Okay, not a planet under the new definition, but a WORLD (Wide-Orbit Rock of Large Diameter).

If you want to include moons and asteroids, make it Wondrous Orbiting Real estate for Landing and Digging.

Edited by LCARS 24