Sign in to follow this  
Krissy Phaserman

Starfleet Boot Camp?

Okay, we know not everyone in Starfleet is an Officer, even though it does seem to be a bit "Top-Heavy", but where does Starfleet conduct Boot Camp? One episode suggested at the Academy. Surely, though, the volume of enlistees would require more than just one boot camp, right?

Assuming they weren't destroyed during World War III, Is it possible that Starfleet would have taken over pre-existing training facilities when the various Earth-based militaries were disbanded? I could picture Starfleet easily taking over NavSta Great Lakes. It would actually make sense. Here you have a pre-existing compound designed specifically to produce basically trained service personnel on one side of the base, and the system to conduct advanced training on the other side of the base. Is it possible that this would be the case? Rather than being called "Naval Training Center" Great Lakes, it would be "Starfleet Training Center, Great Lakes"?

I seriously cannot imagine Starfleet taking over Hezbolah's training fascilities. Its outrageous.

But I'm sure there are other fascilities Starfleet uses other than the ones on planet Earth...

I seriously cannot imagine Starfleet taking over Hezbolah's training fascilities. Its outrageous.

But I'm sure there are other fascilities Starfleet uses other than the ones on planet Earth...

I agree that there might be training facilities on other planets. I also think that the United States would hardly have the only training facilities on all of Earth. There could be training facilities in Europe, or Asia, and perhaps in areas of with harsh climate, such as Australia, Greenland (perhaps Thule Air Force Base), or even in Antartica.

Edited by trekz

Well, if I remember the TNG episode correctly, NASA was considered the major forerunner to Starfleet, whose headquarters are on Earth, so I imagine that much of the administrative functions would still be operated out of the location of the forerunner, in this case NASA, and in this case the land formerly known as the U.S.A. It might even have the main headquarters in either Houston or Cape Canaveral. The bases, though, would most likely be spread out over the globe, and even the solar system, wherever they could establish training facilities, and then even beyond, on some of the outposts and starbases.

Edited by youbroughtheryouRiker

Thinking about bootcamp.... I wonder what Klingon or Romulan bootcamp... would be like. What type of training would they incorporate?

As for Starfleet Accademy.... would trainees of different races be trained differently?

I figure they'd only be treated differently as per the biological needs of their species (Mordok (sp?) comes to mind), though supposedly since all the races come from Class M planets, one'd think there'd be some ubiquitous commonalities.

Well, I don't just mean atmospheric conditions, but I mean physically demanding tasks, that maybe a certain species just lacks the capacity for. Perhaps in that instance they'd be allowed into the Federation, but not allowed to have cadets in Starfleet. In which case, you have a bureaucratic mess involving species discrimination. :tribble:

Starfleet seems relatively soft compared to the modern military, though. How many fat people do we regularly see on Star Trek? I mean, I doubt (Just by looking at him) That Cdr. Riker could pass the Height/Wieght requirements for the modern military, or even the PFT. Yeah, Starfleet personnel do physicals, but I don't think those physicals involve a 2 mile run and pushup-situp requirements. Also, with Starfleet, there are probably jobs available for those who can't do certain things.

Starfleet seems relatively soft compared to the modern military, though. How many fat people do we regularly see on Star Trek? I mean, I doubt (Just by looking at him) That Cdr. Riker could pass the Height/Wieght requirements for the modern military, or even the PFT. Yeah, Starfleet personnel do physicals, but I don't think those physicals involve a 2 mile run and pushup-situp requirements. Also, with Starfleet, there are probably jobs available for those who can't do certain things.

I would believe he would pass PRT with no problems. Looking at person you really cannot tell if they are in standards. Riker in season 1 was very fit when you compare him 15 years later. Within 15 years people still change in a appearance. Military does recognize age with the standards. Hence there is more time with the run and less amount in pushup and curl-ups.

Perhaps, though I always thought Riker looked fit, albeit, not a musclehead. And I suppose Troi is too soft a body for the modern military as well.

Yet again appearnce is good way to judge standards. Troi body to you may look soft (you would get into trouble for saying in the military), but it means nothing if she passes the PRT. In the Navy it is not hard to pass. I can actually she her in modern military as well.

I think the reason you don't see overweight people in Star Trek is due to the replicators only producing healthy versions of food (ie chocolate without all the calories, fried foods without all the fat, etc.). In The Price, Troi wants to order a "real" chocolate sundae and the computer replies that "this unit is programmed to provide sources of nutritional value."

As for height/weight requirements, if they have them in Starfleet, do you think they were waived for Data? Data is approximately 5'11" tall but he weighs considerably more than any humanoid we've seen in Trek due to the materials used in his construction.

The other thing is that Starfleet is not just military. It is a scientific, exploratory and defensive agency of the UFP so it isn't going to be like joining today's military.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I think they'd waive any H/W requirements for Data, as those are for BIOLOGICAL life forms, which Data is not. Those are mostly to determine how healthy someone is, I guess (If you don't meant Hieght Wieght you can get a waiver on body fat percentage.) Data probably wouldn't have to deal with physical requirements, since really, unless something is wrong with his programming, he's always at optimum, which is generally better.

I wonder, though, what the Basic Training for Starfleet Enlisted personnel would be like?

Perhaps, though I always thought Riker looked fit, albeit, not a musclehead. And I suppose Troi is too soft a body for the modern military as well.

Yet again appearnce is good way to judge standards. Troi body to you may look soft (you would get into trouble for saying in the military), but it means nothing if she passes the PRT. In the Navy it is not hard to pass. I can actually she her in modern military as well.

It would totally worth it to have her beat me up. :tribble: