On The Original Show and on Enterprise

Gold = Command

Red = Security/Engineering/Opps

Blue = Medical/Science

On the others

Red = Command

Gold = Security/Engineering/Opps

Blue = Medical/Science

It really depends on the series/movie you're talking about.Personally I kind of liked the funky 70's :blink: jumpsuits everyone wore in Star Trek:The Motion Picture.

In TOS the Color shirt set you apart by your job classification but your chest emblem set you into the department or division you were in. They are as follows:

Command - command.jpg

Sciences - sciences.jpg

Engineering - engineering.jpg

Nursing - nursing.jpg

I would have to look deeper but I believe security wore the same emblem as Engineering.

According to my ancient Starfleet Technical Manual (circa 1978?), there were only the 3 chest emblems: Command, Sciences (including medical), and Engineering. Sercuity did wear the same emblem as engineering 'cause they were "Red Shirts". LOL

According to my ancient Starfleet Technical Manual (circa 1978?), there were only the 3 chest emblems: Command, Sciences (including medical), and Engineering. Sercuity did wear the same emblem as engineering 'cause they were "Red Shirts". LOL

There was only one person that I ever saw wear the 4th ensignia and that was Nurse Chapel, I thnk I had the same Tech Manual back in the 70's I wish I still had it. It was a wealth of great information. Even had patterns for Starfleet uniforms. I also had blueprints for the ship as well. I just wish I hadn't been a pre-teen when I got them. I would have saved them that way.

I've got a Tech Manual First Printed in '75, althought the Copy I have is a Star Trek 25th Aniversary Release.

Anyway,it only has the 3 Insignias, but I have seen that forth one worn by Chapel.

I wonder why it's not in here.

There was only one person that I ever saw wear the 4th ensignia and that was Nurse Chapel, I thnk I had the same Tech Manual back in the 70's I wish I still had it. It was a wealth of great information. Even had patterns for Starfleet uniforms. I also had blueprints for the ship as well. I just wish I hadn't been a pre-teen when I got them. I would have saved them that way.

In all the years I've watched TOS, I never noticed Chapel's ensignia. Hmm. I'll have to look for it.

That's a shame you "lost" your Technical Manual. You're right, it does have a wealth of info in it. Every so often, I'll pull it out and look something up in it.

I love that it has the Articles of Federation in it. I know I've checked the Articles at least 5 times since I've become a member of the board. (Yes, I know they're online, but I'm a dinosaur and do better with print.)

Years ago I thought about making a uniform from one of the patterns. Maybe I will, now that I have the sewing bug. (I'm making an ENT uniform from scratch).

In short, I don't know what I'd do without my Technical Manual!

Thanks VBG! :lol:  :look:

No problem, that's the nice thing about having most of the episodes on CD. It's easy to pull up and take a screen print lol

VaBeachGuy posted the meanings of different starfleet insignia, but did you also know that the arrow shape of the insignia itself was only that shape for Enterprise crew. Watch TAS and you'll see some different ones. I think that you also get to see some others in TOS as well. I"m not sure what the different ones are, but I know this is true.

True on TOS each ship had it's own chest emblem, but by the time of TNG all ships wore the same comm badge.

Here's a couple of the other command badges, the science engeering and nursing badges are the same design with their logo in the patch.

Here's the USS Exeter - Exeter.jpg

Here's the USS Constellation - Constellation.jpg