Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

BOOT CAMP

I was just thinking... for those who enlist or those who go to the Academy or both... do they go to Boot Camp like in today's military? I know, Starfleet is an extremely evovled NAVY/NASA hybrid-type program, but it still has enough similarites that you could call it a military, depending on your perspective. With this said, do you think they would have adopted Boot Camp as well, would it be merely reserved for tactical/security officers, perhaps they have an entirely different program for the "physical training" part of Starfleet?

What are your thoughts? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking...  for those who enlist or those who go to the Academy or both...  do they go to Boot Camp like in today's military?  I know, Starfleet is an extremely evovled NAVY/NASA hybrid-type program, but it still has enough similarites that you could call it a military, depending on your perspective.  With this said, do you think they would have adopted Boot Camp as well, would it be merely reserved for tactical/security officers, perhaps they have an entirely different program for the "physical training" part of Starfleet?

What are your thoughts? :rolleyes:

As you know I was in the Army and I didn't go to Boot Camp. No one that enlists in the Army goes to Boot Camp. Only the Marines go to Boot Camp, in fact a Marine recruit in training is called a Boot.

Due to curriosity, I've been doing some research on today's military and enlisted personaly in the Army do indeed go to boot camp. :rolleyes:

Take it from an ex-Soldier, the Army doesn't have "Boot Camp", the Army has Basic Training. Only people with a lack of military education call the Army's Basic Training "Boot Camp".

I only know of one other ex-soldier here (that I can remember) KlingonMike can reiterate this as well.

Army = Basic Training

Marines = Boot Camp

If you don't take my word for it I do know of a good way of researching it, I have a friend that's an Army recuriter and I'm sure he'd be happy to sign you up. :lol:

Oh, oh, oh!  I thought "Boot Camp" was like a nickname for "Basic Training".  OK, so I have a crappy memory when it comes to names. :rolleyes: Anywho, thanks for the clear-up.

I know I mentioned this in a PM but for the sake of anyone else that's interested. A Marine recruit is called a "Boot" so when they go to training and are encamped that's called "Boot Camp" as in a Camp of "Boots".

The Army just goes to "Basic Training" for the basic infantry training. After Basic is over the soldier goes to his or her specialty school called Advanced Individual Training or "A.I.T."

We know that the cadets in the Academy do drills (TNG's The Drumhead) so it would not surprise me if there were some type of basic training for enlisted personnel. In O'Brien's personnel file there is a year between when he enlisted and his first recorded assignment so there is every possiblity that he had some type of basic training.

I would be surprised if the Starfleet did not require the cadets to maintain some level of physical fitness.It kind of goes hand-in-hand with the rigerous academic program.You know,sound body and strong mind.I know this isn't official,just my own personal little thing,but I write Star Trek fiction,and one of my short stories is all about a new cadet's first days at the Academy,and it includes a brief section on the basic physical training program he had to complete(and how difficult he found it).

I would imagine there is some form of "Basic Training" for both enlisted and Academy Cadets. I'm trying to think of what the Citadel, Annapolis, etc. have for the new cadets that might be applicable or comparable.

In Desert Crossing, Tucker and Archer referred to desert survival training they did together, so it would appear that it might be a periodic, ongoing thing.

I can't recall off hand any references to "Basic Training" in any of the series.

I think this question is a perfect question for ENT to one day answer. In the meantime, I always thought of Starfleet as a futuristic version of boot, without all the hollering and belittling.

I'd surmise that they do have a boot camp. It seems to me that Nog dealt with something of the sort. And yes, Starfleet is a military organization, but one with values that better represent the 24th century Earth.