Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Carolina Hurricanes Win Stanley Cup

Hurricanes Take Home First Stanley Cup

canes_cup_celeb_wide308.jpg

From NHL.com:

By Phil Coffey | NHL.com | June 19, 2006

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The third time was the charm for the Carolina Hurricanes Monday night, skating to a 3-1 victory over the Edmonton Oilers in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final to win the franchise's first Stanley Cup.

Rookie goaltender Cam Ward won the Conn Smythe Trophy as Playoff MVP.

Having built a 3-1 series lead, the Hurricanes appeared to be on the canvas after losing Games 5 and 6 to the Oilers. But Game 7 at home was a tonic for the Hurricanes, who dug deep to find the strength and energy to play a fantastic game against an excellent Edmonton team that came so close to being the second team in NHL history to rally from a 3-1 deficit.

As Carolina players celebrated wildly on the ice, the Oilers gathered at their bench to await the traditional postgame handshakes, many with tears in their eyes.

The game will go down in Stanley Cup lore as one of the most frenzied and intense in history, with the pace just incredible throughout.

Defensemen Aaron Ward and Frantisek Kaberle gave the 'Canes a 2-0 edge that was halved by an Edmonton goal by Fernando Pisani.

But at 18:59, with goalie Jussi Markkanen on the bench, Justin Williams scored an empty-net goal that sealed the deal and sparked a huge celebration from the crowd.

Edmonton's Fernando Pisani halved the Carolina lead at 1:03 of the third period converting the third shot of a scoring sequence by the Oilers. After making an initial stop on Raffi Torres, Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward also denied Rem Murray, but kicked the rebound out to a driving Pisani, who scored his 14th goal of the playoffs to make it 2-1.

With 3:40 remaining, Ward denied Pisani with an incredible save that preserved the one-goal lead. Ward made an initial stop on Torres, but couldn't control the rebound, as Ward stretched his left leg as far as possible, Ward was able to get his skate on Pisani's rebound attempt, a save that prompted another thunderous roar from the frenzied crowd.

The crowd of 18,978, which sang both national anthems like their counterparts in Edmonton, stood for most of the game as the overall pace was insane for two teams that had played well over 100 games. The 'Canes were playing their 107th regular season/playoff games, while the Oilers were playing their 106th regular season/playoff contest.

Erik Cole's speed was too much for Oilers defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to handle at 4:10 of the second period, and he was boxed for holding, a penalty that proved immensely costly at 4:18 when Carolina defenseman Frantisek Kaberle's shot from the rim of the left circle changed direction and speed after hitting diving Oiler defenseman Jason Smith, dipping between the legs of Markkanen for a 2-0 Carolina lead.

Rod Brind'Amour wasn't credited with an assist on the goal, but he made the key play, deflecting an Edmonton clearing pass just enough for teammate Matt Cullen to corral at the blue line. Cullen moved the puck to Cory Stillman, who spotted Kaberle in the clear for the vital second goal.

The Hurricanes dodged a huge bullet late in the period. First, Niclas Wallin was called for hooking Ryan Smyth at 16:16, giving the Oilers a power play that became a two-man advantage at 16:21, when defenseman Aaron Ward was called for delay of game after sending the puck into the crowd, giving the Oilers the 5-on-3 edge. The Oilers were 0-for-4 in the Final with the two-man edge and it became 0-for-5 as Carolina goalie Cam Ward made a series of saves. Edmonton's opportunity ended early when Smyth was called for hooking Glen Wesley at 17:21.

The Oilers tested Cam Ward late in the period, but the rookie goalie rose to the occasion, somehow seeing the puck through multiple screens to make saves on Chris Pronger and Ales Hemsky.

Cam Ward was superb again and ended up taking home the Conn Smythe Trophy for his amazing postseason.

The Hurricanes bolted from the gate with the opening drop and jumped into the lead just 1:26 into the game when Aaron Ward blasted a shot from the top of the right circle past a screened Jussi Markkanen.

Mark Recchi and Matt Cullen were very effective along the boards, keeping the puck in play along with winger Andrew Ladd. Recchi moved the puck to Ward, who pinched in to the top of the circle and let fly as Ladd and Cullen drove to the net to create screens.

There was plenty of controversy at the end of the period. With a delayed penalty coming up on the Oilers' Ethan Moreau, the Hurricanes drove into the Edmonton end and a bizarre series of events took place. Rod Brind'Amour attempted to put a shot on goal, but it bounced into the slot, where Craig Adams then chipped a shot on the Edmonton net. Markkanen sprawled to make the save, but the puck went over him, appeared to be tipped by Ales Hemsky and then fell into the crease, where Oilers defenseman Steve Staios dove into the net to keep the puck out.

Referee Brad Watson initially signaled for a penalty shot, but the officials huddled and decided that the Oilers had touched the puck before the goal-mouth scramble, prompting the whistle to end the play before the goal-mouth scramble. Hence, no penalty shot for covering up the puck in the crease and giving the 'Canes a power play that carried over to the second period.

"With a delayed penalty about to be called by the back referee (Bill McCreary) for a high stick by Edmonton player Ethan Moreau, Oilers' defenseman Steve Staios deliberately bats the puck in the crease, which constitutes control and the play is considered dead," NHL Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating Stephen Walkom said. "Referee (Brad) Watson, who was unaware that a delayed penalty was being called, was waiting for a play that would constitute a normal stoppage. Batting the puck by a player in the defensive zone does not constitute a stoppage. Referee Watson stopped the play when the Oilers' players covered the puck. He was then informed by referee McCreary of the delayed penalty, which required play to be stopped at the moment when control was achieved by the batting of the puck by Staios."

The first period was played like a track meet, with thunderous hits and all-out efforts that typified how important the game was to the respective teams.

Brind'Amour set the tone right away, throwing a heavy check into Raffi Torres, who had done the same to the 'Canes in Games 5 and 6.

Cam Ward made a nice stop off a Sergei Samsonov blast two minutes in, but the 'Canes were showing a hunger that had been missing in the previous two games. A strong hitting shift by the 'Canes when Eric Staal was called for hitting Markkanen behind the net. The ensuing Oilers power play forced Cam Ward to make three solid saves. Midway through the period, Cam Ward made another strong save when Radek Dvorak made a nice shot from in close off a Samsonov pass.

Edmonton killed off a penalty to defenseman Matt Greene at 17:33, and the Oilers also killed off the penalty to Moreau early in the second that had spawned all the controversy at the end of period one.

8470320.jpgscp_gm7_dvorak_ward_194x240.jpg

Goalie Cam Ward - Con Smythe Trophy Winner

Edited by Takara_Soong

Congratulations to the 2006 Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes. They are a very good hockey team and in my mind the Conn Smythe Trophy awarded to Cam Ward was an obvious choice. I realise there were many candidates on the Carolina team but the number of mind boggling saves that Cam made not only through this series but during the entire playoffs makes him the most deserving member. My hat also go's out to Glen Wesley who waited 18 years to finally win the cup in much the same fashion as Ray Bourque did with Colorado a few years back.

Having said that the people of Edmonton should be very proud of their hockey team for such an unlikely and exciting run to the finals! It is just a bit disappointing that they came up short in the end. One player who I thought shined for Edmonton was netminder Jusi Markannen as he made some fantastic saves for Edmonton not only tonight but also throughout the series after he came in for Dwayne Roloson.

This Stanley Cup final series was an absolute classic!

Edited by Sman

Congratulations to the 2006 Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes. They are a very good hockey team and in my mind the Conn Smythe Trophy awarded to Cam Ward was an obvious choice. I realise there were many candidates on the Carolina team but the number of mind boggling saves that Cam made not only through this series but during the entire playoffs makes him the most deserving member. My hat also go's out to Glen Wesley who waited 18 years to finally win the cup in much the same fashion as Ray Bourque did with Colorado a few years back.

Having said that the people of Edmonton should be very proud of their hockey team for such an unlikely and exciting run to the finals! It is just a bit disappointing that they came up short in the end. One player who I thought shined for Edmonton was netminder Jusi Markannen as he made some fantastic saves for Edmonton not only tonight but also throughout the series after he came in for Dwayne Roloson.

This Stanley Cup final series was an absolute classic!

I agree. There were many comments made during the series that Rod Brind'Amour should win the Conn Smythe if Carolina won but, like you, I thought Cam Ward was the obvious choice. They never would have made it out of the first round without him let alone win the Cup.

I think Jussi Markannen's performance was outstanding too. I can't even imagine the amount of pressure he was facing playing his first games after not playing for so long and it being in the Stanley Cup finals. The Oilers who had a number of players who were very impressive - Ryan Smyth, Fernando Pisani, etc. but it just wasn't enough in the end due in large part to the aforementioned Cam Ward.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Congradulations Carolina! I thought it was almost a fitting end to the season after the lock out, Game 7 of a Stanley Cup finals. Edmonton made it entertaining, but it was fitting Carolina won at home. I remember when they used to be the Hartford Whalers.

The Onion had a funny atricle about this recently.

That is good. "They're definitely not from around here. Nobody's ever seen them here before." Classic!