Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Interview: John de Lancie

The actor who plays Q reflects on omnipotence, the appeal of science fiction and whether he'd rather flirt with Picard or Janeway.

Posted at May 31, 2006 - 10:04 PM GMT

Next Tuesday, Paramount Home Entertainment will release the Star Trek Fan Collective - Q box set, containing all 12 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager featuring John De Lancie as the omniscient being who tests Picard's crew with the fate of all humankind at stake and who offers Janeway a way home if she'll bear him a child. Raised in Philadelphia, de Lancie attended the Juilliard School, worked at the American Shakespeare Festival and appeared in dozens of films and television shows, perhaps most memorably as Eugene Bradford on Days of Our Lives before he became known for Star Trek. He has numerous other genre credits, including Stargate SG-1 and the original Battlestar Galactica, and has also been involved in many theatrical productions as an actor, director and producer. The son of a professional oboe player, de Lancie is co-founder with Leonard Nimoy (Spock) of Alien Voices, which produces audio recordings of classic science fiction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trek Nation: Did you think of Q as an antagonist or do you assume he thinks of himself as the hero?

John De Lancie: I've played a lot of villains, and you always have to think of them as being the hero. Otherwise you just serve the dynamic, and you can do more than that. You look around you. If everybody's serious, you undercut by being funny. If everybody's funny, then you become serious.

Trek Nation: I know that Picard was always the straight man to Q, whereas with Janeway, they had a more flirtatious relationship. Was one more fun to play than the other?

John De Lancie: Probably Picard was more fun to play against. They were so concerned with Janeway that somehow Janeway would become infatuated romantically with Q.

Trek Nation: Well, he wanted her to have his baby! You and Kate Mulgrew are old friends, right? Did you get to improvise any of that?

John De Lancie: Sure, a little bit, but they were so concerned. Which I thought was sort of the 800-pound gorilla in the room. They said to me, 'We just don't think that you could be on Voyager,' and when I asked if they minded if asked why, they said, 'You would be able to get them back home.' And I said, 'I'm sorry, but let's think of what that dialogue might sound like':

Janeway: Q, do you know how to get us back home?

Q: Yes, I do.

Janeway: Will you?

Q: No.

So that's sort of taken care of!

Trek Nation: I think the most memorable Q line was when he said to Picard at one point in the Vash episode that if he'd known Picard was susceptible to romantic advances, he would have appeared to him as a woman. They weren't worried Picard would become infatuated romantically with Q?

John De Lancie: Didn't I show up in his bed?

Trek Nation: In 'Tapestry', the one where Picard was dead. I assume from Alien Voices that you must be a long-time science fiction buff.

John De Lancie: Yes. Science fiction is not only something I enjoy just because of the stories and the idea of it -- it's sort of history in advance, as it were -- it was my entry point into reading. I started reading late, as a kid, and I really didn't pick up my first book until I was fourteen or so.

Trek Nation: Kind of like what Harry Potter is to a generation now.

John De Lancie: Exactly. Mine was Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

Continues:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

http://www.treknation.com/interviews/john_...ie_q_dvds.shtml