Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Are the fans devided?

1966-69: We had the original STAR TREK series, which had lots of fans.

1979, 82, 84, & 86: STAR TREK 1-4 were released in theaters. The fans lined up to see the great Trek movies.

1987-92: STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION airs seasons 1-5 while 2 more TOS movies are released in '89 and '91. Most fans have migrated to TNG, the fan base remains strong.

1993-94: We have TNG Seasons 6 & 7 along with the new series, STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE - Seasons 1 & 2, along with the first TNG movie, GENERATIONS which came out in '94. STAR TREK remains a great success, and the fan base remains strong.

1995-99: For 5 years, STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE airs along side STAR TREK: VOYAGER before coming to an exciting conclussion. Durring this time, we had FIRST CONTACT in '96 and INSURRECTION in '98, both being TNG movies. Durring this time perriod, it seems the Trek fandom has shatterred. We had the DS9 fans, the VOY fans, and the core fan base going to the movies.

1999-01: For 2 years, STAR TREK: VOYAGER air by itself, the only Trek show in 7 years. Ratings weren't doing too good, but the show managed to end with a full run. At this time, the franchise is not doing well. It seems to need rejuvination. A new series, a TOS prequal series, should do just that.

2001-present: ENTERPRISE, the current Trek series, is now heading for a 3rd season with the release of NEMESIS, possibly the last TNG movie, in '02. At this point, the STAR TREK FANDOM seems shatterred. There seems to no longer be a "core fan base". At this time, these are the main stream fans I figure exist.

TOS/TNG

TNG

TNG/DS9

DS9/VOY

VOY

VOY/ENT

ENT

My question is this: How did we go from the STAR TREK fan base... well, to the above shards of fan bases, eh?

Stardate:213567.9

Though there may be fans that are divided into those catagories I myself havent seen them.All the people I know that are Star Trek fans myself included like the show in general.I like all the series and most of the movies.

Also I disagree.I think that the "fan base" was still strong during the 1995-2001 period.First Contact was a huge success and Voyager to my understanding went out very well.

Besides I dont pay attention to ratings anyways.

I agree G. It's the show itself that matters..not the many different conceptions.

I agree G. It's the show itself that matters..not the many different conceptions.

I agree also.