Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Nemesis Nitpicks

I've become a little tired with some of the nitpicks I have read at various boards regarding Nemesis so here's your chance to list your nitpicks whether it be Picard's hair or Data's sideburns or whatever. You list them and I'll do my best to rebut them if I can. Anyone else who wants to do rebuttal can as well.

Happy nitpicking!

Well, I've got a few.

Picard's photo

We see a young, bald Picard in a photo where he's wearring a cadet uniform that looks enlisted. (TOS movie era uniforms) Supposedly this is a blooper. My theory is that he enlisted when he failed getting into the acadamy while going for the "shaved head" look. Then, when we see his younger self in "Tapestry", he's in an officer's uniform with a full head of hair. One could assume the photo is from before he went to the acadamy. Anyone got a better theory?

Worf's uniform color

Tactical/Chief Security Officer should wear the "gold" department color on the uniform. Worf started out with red as a bridge officer, then gold again when he became security/tactical officer, and then red again when he became Strategic Opperations officer of DS9 and 1st officer of the Defiant. With his return to the Enterprise, his uniform should be gold again. My theory is that he is not only a security/tactical officer, but due to his experrience on DS9, Worf is now also a command officer, thus why he's at tactical, but with a red uniform. Sound resonable?

Data's emotion chip

There are scenes in the movie where Data seems emotionless like when Data says, "I feel nothing, Geordi." My assumption is that durring certain scenes, Data had the emotion chip off. Since we saw he could do this in ST:FC, they didn't feel it neccessary to bring it up.

Deck 29

The Enterprise is 24 decks. There's a scene where they prepare to fight the Schimitar. You can pause at a close-up glimse of the master situation station at the back of the bridge. Here, I counted 24 decks. The Remans invade deck 29, Riker and the Viceroy fight on an even lower deck, then the Viceroy falls to his death in a "pit" that goes even lower! B) Obviously, Deck 29 is a huge blooper. I just assume the line was suppose to be Deck 19 and got goofed. If you plug in deck 19, the scenes make sense.

Deck 29

The Enterprise is 24 decks.  There's a scene where they prepare to fight the Schimitar.  You can pause at a close-up glimse of the master situation station at the back of the bridge.  Here, I counted 24 decks.  The Remans invade deck 29, Riker and the Viceroy fight on an even lower deck, then the Viceroy falls to his death in a "pit" that goes even lower! B) Obviously, Deck 29 is a huge blooper.  I just assume the line was suppose to be Deck 19 and got goofed.  If you plug in deck 19, the scenes make sense.

Same as in First Contact. They mention 26 decks then again we are told there are only 24 decks. Obviously a flaw in writing in both cases.

Picard's photo

We see a young, bald Picard in a photo where he's wearring a cadet uniform that looks enlisted.  (TOS movie era uniforms)  Supposedly this is a blooper.  My theory is that he enlisted when he failed getting into the acadamy while going for the "shaved head" look.  Then, when we see his younger self in "Tapestry", he's in an officer's uniform with a full head of hair.  One could assume the photo is from before he went to the acadamy.  Anyone got a better theory?

No better theory just wanted to add to what you said.. B)

In "Violations" We see Picard the Captain of the Stargazer with hair.. B)

I think the point of this thread has been missed. I have heard many people say they didn't like Nemesis because of what are really minor details. The point of this thread is for Nemesis detracters to post their "nitpicks" about Nemesis to discuss whether something may have been overlooked or missed to explain the nitpick. I did't intend this to be a post your theories thread.

Oh, well um...  ...woops! :biggrin:

Sorry, I have a lot of theories. :o

Hey don't worry too much CJLP, I thought at first your first post was a nitpick and I though I was correcting it....so ooops for both of us I guess.

Ok, you will not like me for it, but here goes, Takara.

Why, at the end of NEM, when the Scimitar explodes, and the Enterprise is limping away with battered shields and no warp, and the Theleron weapon was ONE SECOND for detonation....

1) Where did all the Theleron from the weapon go? If it was as dangerous as Crusher said it was, how come some did not penetrate the shields and kill everyone on the Enterprise?

2) Why was the Enterprise not further damaged but being so close to the explosion?

3) Why did the Enterprise NOT EVEN ROCK from the effects of the Scimitar's exploding so close? There was not even a little shake! :biggrin:

this is the questions that really bug me.

Ok, you will not like me for it, but here goes, Takara.

Why, at the end of NEM, when the Scimitar explodes, and the Enterprise is limping away with battered shields and no warp, and the Theleron weapon was ONE SECOND for detonation....

1) Where did all the Theleron from the weapon go? If it was as dangerous as Crusher said it was, how come some did not penetrate the shields and kill everyone on the Enterprise?

2) Why was the Enterprise not further damaged but being so close to the explosion?

3) Why did the Enterprise NOT EVEN ROCK from the effects of the Scimitar's exploding so close? There was not even a little shake! :biggrin:

this is the questions that really bug me.

I'm still researching radiation in space so you'll have to give me some time on that.

I'll take #2 and #3 together since they are related. I can't give you technical explanations but I can give precedents of other instances where an explosion occurred very close to the Enterprise and she didn't shake or have damage. In Contagion for example, when the USS Yamato exploded the Enterprise-D did not raise shields until after the explosion but was not damaged and did not shake from the force of the explosion. Also in First Contact when the Borg cube exploded there was no shaking from the force of that explosion and when the Borg sphere was destroyed the Enterprise-E didn't have shields up and there was no shaking from that explosion either. I don't no how far away they were from the Scimitar when it exploded but they were far enough away that they saw the "entire" explosion. If the Enterprise-E had been sitting nose to nose with the Scimitar at the time they would not have only see the green flash right in front of them but they were far enough away that they saw the entire ship explode. (not sure how well I said that last part)

That's just off the top of my head so I'll have to look into that for more examples.

May I take a crack at this one Takara?

May I take a crack at this one Takara?

Go ahead AE!!!

:biggrin:

I am of the opinion that the radiation had not been created yet. Surely the radiation would have been effective in space or he would not have bothered to activate the, what was it called, the Thalion (sp) "Generator"? If it was a generator then the radiation did not exist until it had been generated.

What I mean is perhaps the radiation is a side effect of some process done to a normally harmless substance unless it is exposed to or combined with something else. The generator was destroyed just before whatever the substance's required to create the radiation, were combined.

:biggrin:

I am of the opinion that the radiation had not been created yet. Surely the radiation would have been effective in space or he would not have bothered to activate the, what was it called, the Thalion (sp) "Generator"? If it was a generator then the radiation did not exist until it had been generated.

What I mean is perhaps the radiation is a side effect of some process done to a normally harmless substance unless it is exposed to or combined with something else. The generator was destroyed just before whatever the substance's required to create the radiation, were combined.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

maybe im way off ,but here goes ... i was uder the impression that sound/shock waves did not reverberate in deep space ,i think the only time the ships "rock" is when its a direct hit ????? just a thought ,from imformation gathered over the years..

I'm sorry emojams but not so, two points... remember in Generations when the Ent D drives section "exploded", the shock wave was responsible for plunging the drive section into Veridan 3's atmosphere. Also, in reality the Space Telescope has captured time lapse images of shock waves created by stellar explosions impacting on and moving through space matter.

I'm sorry emojams but not so, two points... remember in Generations when the Ent D drives section "exploded", the shock wave was responsible for plunging the drive section into Veridan 3's atmosphere. Also, in reality the Space Telescope has captured time lapse images of shock waves created by stellar explosions impacting on and moving through space matter.

Oh well ,just a thought but i do remember hearing that somewhere??? :)

:)  You were absolutely correct about the sound waves not everberating. :bow:

thanks i thought i wasnt loosin it>>> :)

My biggest nitpick about it is that they didn't invite me to do a Walk-On, the nerve!

:)

I think someone's memory is going a little. Don't you remember these scenes with you VBG:

Click for Spoiler:

picardshinzon.jpgredshirt.jpg

Takara, your explanation of the explosion not rocking the ship makes perfect sense. If they can see the whole explosion they should not feel much effect from it. (to the human senses the effect would be unnoticable) The techincal explanation is this: because space is a vacuum, the only thing that could rock the ship is the particles OF the explosion because there can be no shock wave. A shockwave is created by air expanding or travelling at very fast speeds. But since space is a vacuum, there is no air. We saw the entire explosion and it did not touch the ship visibly. Realistically, the particles would continue to travel outward from the explosion (we wouldn't see it though, because they would not be as highly energized) As they do so, they would spread thinly out, and thus when they finally make contact with the Enterprise if would be like throwing dust at a brick wall. I am no expert, I could be wrong, but this seems logical to me.

the one thing that has always anoid me is in the wedding you see wesley in a uniform why? He never graduated starfleet he is a traveler now. It was nice to put him in but he should have been wearing civilion duds.