Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Collective

I was watching "Collective" the other day and something didn't quite make sense.

The Teen Borg leader looks to be from the planet in "Blink of an Eye":

240x320.jpg

Teen_Borg.JPG

If he is the same race then how was he assimilated? That race was very primitive when Voyager came upon the planet and they didn't have the ability to travel in space and only 4 episodes passed between the 2 so not much time had gone by and they left us with the impression that it would be a long time before that race would be able to travel in space "like us".

Perhaps it's another species that has similar markings. The Cardassians also had the...uh..."spoon" shaped marking on their faces.

2 points

I think it's illogical to assume that a culture would need to have space travel to be able to be assimilated intot he Borg.

It's also possible they're different races. On the top picture, the male has a vertical ridge extending from his neck, however the Alpha Borg, doesn't have one.

(Is it just me, or does this WHOLE post sound like it was written by Tuvok???)

2 points

I think it's illogical to assume that a culture would need to have space travel to be able to be assimilated intot he Borg.

It's also possible they're different races. On the top picture, the male has a vertical ridge extending from his neck, however the Alpha Borg, doesn't have one.

(Is it just me, or does this WHOLE post sound like it was written by Tuvok???)

From what we know of the Borg they only assimilate races that will add to their collective. If a race inferior they tend to ignore them.

Then there's the problem of time. How did they get the Alpha Drone? Where did they encounter him? There's only 4 episodes between Blink and Collective and generally in Star Trek 1 episode is like 2 weeks in time so if he was assimilated after Blink then about 2 months had gone by. If he was assimilated before Blink then how did the Borg find him? If they had been on the planet then why didn't they assimilate the entire planet?

As for the pictures looking like different races, the ridge you see is simply there to show age. Here's a "younger" shots of the same character and a better shot of the "older" version.

blink2.JPG

blink3.JPG

They are never identified as being the same race, but I just think the make up people just got lazy.

There are some slight differences most evidently is that the Alpha version doesn't come to a complete point and the top line seems to go back a little further. Even so, it probably is a goof.

There are some slight differences most evidently is that the Alpha version doesn't come to a complete point and the top line seems to go back a little further. Even so, it probably is a goof.

Every person would develope their features slightly differently, just as in humans some people have bigger noses or smaller ears then other people. Also you're looking at an adolescent in the Alpha Drone while the other's of that race (if they are the same) are all adults.

Here's another shot from the episode that I took that gives a bit of a different look...

Blink.JPG

Wait a sec, is this that episode where a culture is like advancing a 100 years compared to 1 hour our time?

Then it HAS to be a COMPLETELY different race!!!!!!!

Wait a sec, is this that episode where a culture is like advancing a 100 years compared to 1 hour our time?

You sure it couldn't have been a mistake by the make-up people for using that race? How often have we seen 2 different races look identical? Not very often.

Since the Alpha Borg's race is never named then it can easily be said that they're different but I think it was just a blooper of sorts.

Yeah, problem with Trek compared to oterh sc-fi shows like Star Wars, is that they nearly ALWAYS focus on having alien features on the face, Barely anywhere else.

I can barely tell the difference sometimes!!!

I think that they just didn't think of it and forgot about the episode when that race first appeared.

It also coulbe this:

Comparing Humans to Vulcans, the only difference would be the ears (plus their stupid hair style).

The could be something similar between these two. Like the Alpha Borg might have webbed feet!!!

I find it HIGHLY illogical that they could be the same race

You sure it couldn't have been a mistake by the make-up people for using that race? How often have we seen 2 different races look identical? Not very often.

Since the Alpha Borg's race is never named then it can easily be said that they're different but I think it was just a blooper of sorts.

How often? all the time.

There's dozens of human faces (no ridge, no spoons, no scars, no spikes, etc.) out there.

To name a few.

Ba'ku, Betazoid, El-Aurian, bunch from TOS, etc.

Question:

Who are these "Alpha Borg race" people keep talking about?

Or maybe the Brog did try to assimilate them, but the time-differential screwed them up so they backed off.

Or my original theory: the makeup artists had no ideas when they got to the Delta Quadrant. Everyone had either pointy ears or a weird forehead.

Or maybe the Brog did try to assimilate them, but the time-differential screwed them up so they backed off.

What the heck is a Brog?

What offends me is the only alien races the writers could think of all had only two breasts. At least Enterprise made mention of a species with three.

What the heck is a Brog?

What offends me is the only alien races the writers could think of all had only two breasts. At least Enterprise made mention of a species with three.

Borg, damn it! :borgqueen: