Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Is UPN what's hurting ENT?

ENTERPRISE is doing badly in the ratings. Personally, I think the whole ratings system needs an overhaul as it killed a favorite show, but that's another thread entirely.

Anywho, do you think UPN is the main cause of ENT's bad ratings, "sexing-up", dumbed down stories & science, and so on? If not, what do you feel is the "axe" that's chopping down ENT?

Personally, I feel UPN is the main factor in ENT's bad ratings. Here's how I see it...

*UPN wants it's shows to have strong sexuallity - ENT has it.

*All of UPN's shows are dumbed down big time - It happens to ENT now and then.

I can't think of more at the moment, but those are two major points.

Look at NBC. All of it's shows are serrious or comedies and very successful.

SCI-FI channel, most of it's shows are very sci-fi and usually a big hit.

I strongly believe that UPN is what's hurting ENT. I think VOY had bad ratings becuase it had to compete with DS9. Back then, UPN actually had good programming.

Anywho, what's your take on UPN and ENT's bad ratings?

Stardate:213559.7

I agree.Back when TNG was first airing its episodes around here at least it was on Fox.Until TNN took them over they always aired the reruns on it as well.And now they are airing voyager and DS9 reruns.All of those still get good ratings from what I understand.Maybe ENT needs to move to Fox.

I admit UPN is on the low end of the networks,but I think it will get better as time goes on. I remember when Fox first became a network and all the comedians use to joke about this worthless new network called Fox. Then the WB started and it to took a couple of years to get its footing.

As for being sexed up,I still don't see it.There is no more sex on Enterprise than any other Star Trek show.As for dumbing down,I don't see that either.I find the stories to be very good and enjoyable.

As for being sexed up,I still don't see it.There is no more sex on Enterprise than any other Star Trek show.As for dumbing down,I don't see that either.I find the stories to be very good and enjoyable.

T'Pol pleading for Phlox to have sex with her, being rubbed down with goo, and running arround in her undies. I've never seen an episode from any of the previous shows with as much sexuallity.

As for dumbing down? Well, in "The Crossing", Phlox kills the crew with Carbon Dioxide posioning to rid them of the whisps, then magically "brings them back" via re-releasing oxygen into the ship. It would have been more convincing if they crew had to be "almost dead" or something.

As far as the Trek shows being shown on FOX - that's merely a local station that does that, others might do too. The "official ratings", as far as I know, only display how well ENT does with on UPN and not syndicated on local stations.

Here's an article you might find interesting. If you haven't already seen it, that is. Read the first paragraph and the first few "blurbs." Then you can skip the rest if you want and go straight to "5:00" because that's where the Enterprise stuff starts.

This article has a lot to do with the subject of this post and you might like to take a look.

T'Pol pleading for Phlox to have sex with her, being rubbed down with goo, and running arround in her undies.  I've never seen an episode from any of the previous shows with as much sexuallity.

Stardate:213559.9

I personally like seeing a little sex in Star Trek every once in a while and see nothing wrong with it.I though that scene with T'Pol and Phlox was pretty good.

TNG's Naked Now had a lot of sexuallity in it.The DS9 episode where Ezri Dax and Kira were lesbians(I liked that scene :( )that was pretty sexual.

Absolutely. UPN's target demographic is young horny males. I don't think the network is looking to appeal to the boys in the science club, more the WWF crowd. If ENT were syndicated the situation would be entirely different.

Yeah there has been alot of sexuality in all the Star Trek series,DS9 certainly had a good share. "Bounty" was a good episode I saw nothing wrong with it what so ever. They have had half naked people in TNG,DS9 and Voyager.

I don't think UPN is demanding sexuality.Do you watch any other networks? Every one has shows filled with more sexual themes and storys that Star Trek ever did. Fox has Paradise Hotel and Temptaion Island which is nothing but guys and girls having sex. Then there are shows like Will and Grace on NBC that is filled with Homosexual humor.

So you see your going to find sexual themes on all the networks,lets face it,sex sells! There are alot of people that enjoy it.

One of the most Emmy awarded shows is that Sarah Jessica Parker show "Sex in the City" they still get nominations every year!