Sign in to follow this  
Sgt. Phaserman

What a difference a year makes...

This time last year, I was in a wheelchair, looking forward at a bleak few months stuck there, and some intense physical therapy. After the events of the past year, I have a newfound respect for the folks who can't get out of their chairs. Dispite the fact that the entire time I was in the chair, I wore a Military Uniform, I still got alot of odd looks and stares. Now, alittle over a year after the injury that put me in one, My doctors have cleared me for some slightly more risky endeavors. I was told by my doctor yesterday that if the opportunity presents itself, he would have no objections to me hitting the trails again on the snowboard (Which I actually haven't done since before I joined the Marines.) I've always been the kind of guy who says a prayer every night before bed, but now, I say one in the morning, thanking god for the simple fact that I can get out of bed and WALK to the kitchen to get my morning coffee. It's an experience that has probably changed my life as much as anything I did in the Marine Corps. It's an experience I am glad to have, though, because now I understand better what it's like for many people who are wheelchair bound. I'm actually thinking of volunteering with the Special Olympics in this area, as an official or something. Looking back, it's amazing what we take for granted, the simple things we don't notice until they aren't there.

God Bless you , Sarge and I hope you will be 100 % again soon. Also, if I haven't already said it, Thank You so much for your service to our country.... <_<

Thanks, Kor. and you are welcome, also. I'll probably always look back on my service with the Marines as a high-point in my life. Sure, the last 7 months or so in the Corps was tough, but I plowed through it with typical Marine Corps tenacity. When alot of you think of the VFW, you probably think about guys in their 50's and 60's, but I'm actually joining. I was actually eligable to join before my 20th Birthday. I take alot of pride in the fact that I can call myself a Marine.

What can I say? God Bless you mate, I hope you are up and running anytime soon <_<

Running isn't an issue now. I'm at around 90-95%, but because of the nature of the leg injury, I may never get back to 100%. Unfortunately, the way it happened meant that I did not recieve a purple heart, since it was a Non-Hostile injury. It was, I guess, a Career-ending injury, but non-hostile.

from http://www.purpleheart.org/explain.html...

The PURPLE HEART is awarded to members of the armed forces of the U.S. who are wounded by an instrument of war in the hands of the enemy and posthumously to the next of kin in the name of those who are killed in action or die of wounds received in action. It is specifically a combat decoration.

If I had to choose to join the Corps again today, knowing what I know now (About the possibilities of actually going to war, not that I would suffer such an injury, you never know that kind of thing), I'd probably still join, and probably still as Infantry. I keep in touch with all my buddies. We are, in a very real sense, a band of brothers. you go through what we all went through together and it forms a bond that is stronger even than the bonds of actual family. I know it sounds wierd, but I feel closer to those guys than I do really to my own sister, but that is saying something, considering how close Krissy and I are.

If any of you kids out there are considering joining any branch of the Military, and want to ask me any questions about it, all you have to do is send me a PM, and I will try to answer your questions in a way that no Recruiter will do.

This time last year, I was in a wheelchair, looking forward at a bleak few months stuck there, and some intense physical therapy. ... I was told by my doctor yesterday that if the opportunity presents itself, he would have no objections to me hitting the trails again on the snowboard (Which I actually haven't done since before I joined the Marines.)

You are lucky, IMO.

In the past year, I started needing to use a cane every now and then. I have an old knee injury that flares up every now and then. Usually it's not a problem, but lately I've had some really bad days that I actually needed to use a cane for the extra support.

Fortunately, those days are few and far between.

Edited by wishfire

This time last year I was in counselling recovering from the year of hell, hard to believe anything happened now..