Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Gotta Test Those Geezers More Often

Gotta Test Those Geezers More Often

February 28, 2006

By Ken Schram ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - There was the old guy zipping along on Juanita Drive doing all of 17 miles an hour (the speed limit is 35).

There were the two elderly women who thought nothing of stopping their car in the middle of a Lake City Way intersection so they could read a street sign.

Personal encounters of mine, but offered as anecdotal evidence that there comes a time when people are just too old to drive.

Studies show that, except for teenagers, senior drivers have - per mile - the highest rate of fatal car accidents.

People over 70 lose peripheral vision.

They can't see well in low light.

They don't deal as well with complex traffic situations.

It's a good thing the 70-something Tacoma woman who plowed through 3 stores the other day left nothing more than mangled wood and glass in her wake.

State lawmakers need to step up and deal with this issue.

Just as they dealt with kids too young to be driving, they need to grab hold of the hot political potato of being too old.

At minimum, anyone over 70 should get no more than a two year license.

And people over 75 should have to be road-tested every year.

They won't like hearing me say that, and they'll hate lawmakers if they ever get around to doing it.

But like we tell our kids: Driving's a privilege, not a right.

Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

So, what do you think?

I actually agree with Ken.........which is a rarity!

I've been saying this for years. As difficult as it is to face, there will come a time when we are just too old to drive. One of my drivers once got into an accident with a really old lady who just turned into the street in front of him without stopping and looking. Both vehicles were totalled and the lady went to the hospital. After investigating, the insurance company cancelled the lady's insurance and her license was revoked.....for her own good. She actually had Alzheimers and was still driving! The problem with the laws regarding renewing your license is that all you have to do is pass an eye test in order to get renewed. Impaired driving ability due to age or other things never come into play.

My solution is to make taking a driving test a part of the process of applying for Social Security. When you hit 65 years old and apply for Social Security, you should have to take a driver's test. You should have to take one every few years after that. Some may call it age discrimination. I just think its sensible and it could save an old person's life.

Edited by Kor37

I agree with this. I was at the mall the other day, outside because I was having a cigarette. So there I was, standing on the sidewalk, when some old lady, driving a huge boat of a Buick, in order to turn left from the parking lot onto the mallside road, drives the car across the road, up onto the sidewalk, and back onto the road. If I hadn't jumped out of the way, I would've gotten hurt. I can't imagine how these people still have liscences.

I'd really hate for it to happen too, though. Many elderly, indeed many PEOPLE feel that when you take away their license, you take away their dignity. Plus, how are they gonna get around? Driving was probably the last thing they were physically capable of doing in order to travel distances. My Dad is almost 70, and is still quite physically capable. In fact, many many people over 70 are physically able. I know a guy who's almost 80 and is still in quite good condition.

There's another aspect too, that Ken, and many others ignore when cutting up licenses......what are they gonna do for legal identification? They need something with their picture, and passports just aren't that portable. What if they have a parcel that requires a photo ID to get? Or what about having to show ID when writing a check or, as sometimes happens, with credit cards? Too often, I find that people who support ripping them out of people's hands forget these things. Yes, they are a significant risk when they're behind the wheel, but come up with some proactive solutions when being knee-jerkishly reactive.

There's another aspect too, that Ken, and many others ignore when cutting up licenses......what are they gonna do for legal identification? They need something with their picture, and passports just aren't that portable. What if they have a parcel that requires a photo ID to get? Or what about having to show ID when writing a check or, as sometimes happens, with credit cards? Too often, I find that people who support ripping them out of people's hands forget these things. Yes, they are a significant risk when they're behind the wheel, but come up with some proactive solutions when being knee-jerkishly reactive.

That's easy... State ID cards. Every state has them, because not everyone has a driver's licence.

And short people whose heads barely reach above the dashboards. jk.

That's what encyclopedias and platform shoes are for. :borg2:

The first time I read the article I nearly died cause I actually agreed with him. If lawmakers are so tough on kids, they should also go after the elderly. However, the elderly are the ones who vote the most, they'll probably throw out anyone who poses this question.

Many elderly, indeed many PEOPLE feel that when you take away their license, you take away their dignity

If they are physically or mentally unable to drive, better to lose some dignity than their life.

Driving was probably the last thing they were physically capable of doing in order to travel distances. My Dad is almost 70, and is still quite physically capable. In fact, many many people over 70 are physically able. I know a guy who's almost 80 and is still in quite good condition.

Nobody is talking about just taking every old person's license away. All they are talking about is having them tested. If you Dad is still able, he won't have any problem and would still be able to drive. My Dad is 73 and he is still mentally and physically able. He would pass a test with no problem. The idea is to catch those people that are starting to lose focus. They are a danger to themselves and everyone else on the raod.

what are they gonna do for legal identification?

As previously stated, every state had State ID cards.

Driving was probably the last thing they were physically capable of doing in order to travel distances. My Dad is almost 70, and is still quite physically capable. In fact, many many people over 70 are physically able. I know a guy who's almost 80 and is still in quite good condition.

Nobody is talking about just taking every old person's license away. All they are talking about is having them tested. If you Dad is still able, he won't have any problem and would still be able to drive. My Dad is 73 and he is still mentally and physically able. He would pass a test with no problem. The idea is to catch those people that are starting to lose focus. They are a danger to themselves and everyone else on the raod.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into Schramm, but it just sounds like he's just got a beef with all senior citizens, able-bodied and sound-minded or not, and he's talking of exceptions and whatnot just to cover his own rear end. Remarkable, since, judging from his picture, I'd put him in his 50's.

And please note, I'm not saying they AREN'T dangers to society. I AM saying that this typical knee-jerk reaction to it is only gonna create more troubles. Let's get a few other things going too before we take away their licenses.

I agree that there should be some testing done after people turn 65 or 70. Maybe every five years require a driving test.

I also agree that some older people do feel they've lost part of their dignity when they can't drive themselves. Both my uncles were unhappy when they stopped driving (both were in their mid-eighties), One had Parkinson's, the other diabetes and general old age (plus he was a lead foot driver whose daughters took away his keys). State ID's are fine but giving up your independence by not driving is a tough blow to independent minded seniors. Plus in some areas public transportation is poor or inadequate.

I have also known older drivers who drove into their eighties and nineties, who were careful, and had the good judgement to stop when they could see they were having problems. Not all older drivers are a menace.

Edited by trekz

It is hard on seniors to loose the independence that driving provides.

My mother is 74, has lost sight in one eye, and still talks about regaining her sight, and driving herself. Both my brother and I repeatedly explain to her that her reflexes

have become too slow for her to be out in traffic, and that we will take her where ever she needs to go.

The problem is that no one really ages 'evenly.' There is a decline in this here and that there, but lots of the elderly are still mostly in tact. That is one thing that makes aging so hard.

There are another issues involved that I am surprised no one stated. What if they loose their license to drive and have no way to go their medical appointments and social activities? I know in cities there are good to excited public transportation, but what about in rural areas where there is no public transportation and their family is not in the same state or area.

Regardless if they still able-bodied and sound-minded they should be an age where they need to be tested to see if they are fit to drive. It should start between the ages of 65 to 70 with a renewed every year after it. The renewal should included a noted from their doctor stated they are cleared medical to drive. Like teens they not all are bad, but all are held to a standard when it comes to driving. The elderly should face the same standard as well.

There are another issues involved that I am surprised no one stated. What if they loose their license to drive and have no way to go their medical appointments and social activities? I know in cities there are good to excited public transportation, but what about in rural areas where there is no public transportation and their family is not in the same state or area.

Actually, that's the point I was addressing, but you said it in much more plain terms.